Anne Rice discussion and more

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey / There and Back Again

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Auntie Maine

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey / There and Back Again   Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:40 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Auntie Maine

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey / There and Back Again   Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:40 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
StevieF

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey / There and Back Again   Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:33 am

Great pictures, thanks for posting Dan. I am a bit behind on my Hobbit news, haven't looked at the websites for weeks on it, so good to see these:-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Auntie Maine

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey / There and Back Again   Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:17 am

Comic-Con crowd goes crazy for 'Hobbit' footage
By DAVID GERMAIN | Associated Press –
SAN DIEGO (AP) — If reaction to "The Hobbit" footage at Comic-Con is any indication, Peter Jackson has another couple of blockbusters on his hands.
The crowd attending Jackson's "Hobbit" preview at the fan convention Saturday went wild over a 12-minute reel the filmmaker and his colleagues screened.
Broken into two films, "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" and "The Hobbit: There and Back Again," the 3-D epic is Jackson's prequel to his "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, whose finale won 11 Academy Awards, including best picture and director.
"An Unexpected Journey" arrives in theaters Dec. 14, with "There and Back Again" following in December 2013.
The films are based on J.R.R. Tolkien's prequel novel, chronicling how tiny hobbit Bilbo Baggins (Martin Freeman) acquired the ring of power that causes all the ruckus in "The Lord of the Rings," Jackson's three-part adaptation of Tolkien's fantasy saga.
Along with Jackson and Freeman, "The Hobbit" panel at Comic-Con featured "Lord of the Rings" co-stars Ian McKellen, who reprises his role as the wizard Gandalf, and Andy Serkis, who is back as twisted ring-keeper Gollum. Also on hand was Richard Armitage, who plays the dwarf Thorin Oakenshield.
Jackson showed 12 minutes of footage that included a chillingly comic exchange between Bilbo and Gollum; a tender moment between McKellen's Gandalf and Cate Blanchett, reprising her role as elf queen Galadriel; and the pivotal moment when Bilbo discovers the ring.
A surprise guest was Elijah Wood, who starred as hobbit Frodo Baggins in "The Lord of the Rings."
Freeman said he never felt intimidated as a newcomer to Jackson's team.
"Obviously, you can't really take intimidation or pressure to work with you, because you won't do your best work," Freeman said. "And you won't do your best playing, which is an actor's job."
Jackson shot "The Hobbit" in 3-D and at 48 frames a second, twice the speed that has been the standard since the 1920s. The higher frame rate allows for greater visual clarity, though it requires costly upgrades to digital projectors for cinemas showing films at that speed.
At the Cinema Con theater owner's convention in April, Jackson got a mixed reception for preview footage of "The Hobbit" shown at 48 frames a second. Some observers thought the images were too clear, so realistic that it took away from the magic of the film medium.
At Comic-Con, Jackson chose to show his footage at the traditional 24 frames a second, saying the best way to experience the higher projection speed is by watching an entire movie at 48 frames a second, not just excerpts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
darkeyes80

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey / There and Back Again   Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:53 am

I'm still excited! I actually think the 42 frames per second thing is going to be something completely new. Bigger than Avatar. Weird: i wasn't as excited for LOTR as i am for this one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Auntie Maine

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey / There and Back Again   Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:59 am

Me too. I guess because I read The Hobbit first and love it best.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
darkeyes80

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey / There and Back Again   Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:32 pm

Funny! i read it first, too. I was 11, I think. And it wasn't untill i was about 14 when I read LOTR for my O-levels(or the dutch equivalent to O-levels). My wonderful english teacher made me read it. LOTR is a bit much for a kid being taught english as a foreign-language. But she prolly knew I was in love with the language. She was married to a dutch guy; she was half Scot, half Welsh. Amazing woman. I got her hooked on IWTV a year later! In return, she made me read "the Shipping News" by Annie A. Proulx. hated it. She told me: "you'll love it one day and you will thank me for it; just like me with your vampire-books"

She was right:P

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Auntie Maine

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey / There and Back Again   Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:07 am

Never read The Shipping News. Seen it in various places though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Auntie Maine

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey / There and Back Again   Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:31 am

Jackson to make 'The Hobbit' into a trilogy

BURBANK, Calif. (AP) — Peter Jackson is adding a third film to what was planned to be the two-part series "The Hobbit."
The director of the Oscar-winning "The Lord of the Rings" movies said Monday that after viewing a cut of the first film and part of the second that there was room for a third.
Jackson says in a statement that a lot of J.R.R. Tolkien's tale of Bilbo Baggins would remain untold if a third film wasn't made. The films are set in the fictional world of Middle-earth 60 years before "The Lord of the Rings."
"We recognized that the richness of the story of 'The Hobbit,' as well as some of the related material in the appendices of 'The Lord of the Rings,' gave rise to a simple question: do we tell more of the tale?" Jackson said in a statement. "And the answer from our perspective as filmmakers and fans was an unreserved 'yes.' "
"We know how much of the tale of Bilbo Baggins, the Dwarves of Erebor, the rise of the Necromancer, and the Battle of Dol Guldur would remain untold if we did not fully realize this complex and wonderful adventure," he said.
Warner Bros. and MGM will continue their partnership to make the trilogy.
The first film, "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," hits theaters Dec. 14, while the second, "The Hobbit: There and Back Again" is set for release on Dec. 13, 2013.
The third film will come out in the summer of 2014.
All three movies are being shot in digital 3-D in New Zealand, which is home to Jackson's Weta Digital special effects house. Principal photography recently finished on the first two films.
Jackson, his wife Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens and Guillermo del Toro are listed as co-writers of the first two films.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StevieF

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey / There and Back Again   Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:34 am

Really pleased it's a trilogy, gives it a nice symmetry with LOTR.

I read that movie titles 'Riddles in the Dark', 'Desolation of Smaug' and 'The Battle of Five Armies' have all been registered by New Line. I think this may be for the middle film, as 'There and Back Again' would be better for the last one.

Also, latest production video #8 on link below (inc others if you've missed any)

http://www.thehobbitblog.com/category/videos/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StevieF

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey / There and Back Again   Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:56 am

New Hobbit trailer - I cannot wait !!!!

(for a certain Dr Who fan look out for an ex-doctor in the trailer)

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/thehobbit/

Or

http://www.thehobbitblog.com/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Denovissimus

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey / There and Back Again   Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:11 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Auntie Maine

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey / There and Back Again   Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:29 am

Stephen Colbert Will Likely Be an Elf in Peter Jackson's 'Hobbit'

This is the best news we've heard about the Hobbit trilogy yet: comedian Stephen Colbert is going to appear in either the second or third movie.
The Hollywood Reporter's Kim Masters and Eric Carlson confirmed the rumor on Saturday. Colbert dropped a clue that he might appear in one of the Hobbit movies in a November interview with Playboy, of all places. It would make the most sense for Colbert's cameo to be as an elf considering he's fluent in elvish, something many of the other elves in the movie probably can't claim. We don't know what role Colbert's playing yet, though. He could be an elf, or a dwarf, or a hobbit, or something completely different. A wing-toed newt, even.
Playboy heard Colbert flew down to the set, and asked if he was only invited to watch. An unlikely prospect, though it could be seen as a nice gesture from director Peter Jackson to Colbert, a super fan of Tolkien's universe. When they asked if he appears in the movie, Colbert would only smile.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Denovissimus

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey / There and Back Again   Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:38 am

I think having to wait three years for all this to play out is making me less excited for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Auntie Maine

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey / There and Back Again   Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:39 am

Patience precious Darck one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Auntie Maine

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey / There and Back Again   Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:21 am

Elijah Wood -- who plays Frodo in the new "Hobbit" movie -- is convinced ... the wranglers who claimed 27 animals died during the production of the film are just out for a payday ... but their diabolical plot will fail.

Elijah was at the airport in L.A. when we asked about the story -- that the production's animal handlers claim the living conditions for the film's horses, chickens, sheep, and goats were so bad ... as many as 27 animals died horrific preventable deaths.

Elijah called the story "heartbreaking" -- but said the complaints were grossly exaggerated, telling us, "I never saw any of those conditions when I was down there."

He added, "All of the technicians who worked on the film take the utmost care of the animals."

Elijah believes the timing of the complaints -- a week before the film premieres -- is extremely suspicious ... and tells us, the people behind them are just out for a quick buck.

But the momentum behind the movie is already so great, Elijah says it won't have an effect on the box office numbers.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey / There and Back Again   

Back to top Go down

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey / There and Back Again
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2