The Garden District
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anne Rice discussion and more

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Review a Book

Go down 
+2
Judge Jane
Taman
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Taman

Taman

Review a Book Empty
PostSubject: Review a Book   Review a Book I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 4:56 pm

There isn't a place for these, so here you go. Review a book!
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

Review a Book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review a Book   Review a Book I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 5:02 pm

The Hunger Games - Its been awhile since I'ver read anything in English, but this one was an easy read. I bet if I'd read this at 15, I would have fallen in love with it. Now at 30, I still think its very good and beats most what I have recently read. I got hooked starting from first chapter and Katniss is a fresh of breath air. I am sucker for all things gladiator so naturally I wanted the Hunger Games to just start!
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

Review a Book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review a Book   Review a Book I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 5:06 pm

Catching fire - erm, bit of a disappointment really. Its more relationship based and the "twists" I saw coming miles away. Luckily the rebellion started, I was getting pretty tired with people just taking it and especially with Katniss.. . I don't need to see her moping around and limping between the boys for another 300 pages. Its still a good book but very much a middle book.. just something to keep the ball rolling before the (hopefully good) end game.
Back to top Go down
Judge Jane
Admin
Judge Jane

Review a Book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review a Book   Review a Book I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 6:40 am

Can't wait to hear what you think about Mockingjay and the ending. That's all I can say!
Back to top Go down
Denovissimus

Denovissimus

Review a Book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review a Book   Review a Book I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 11:03 am

Anne you never read the Potter books did you?
Back to top Go down
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

Review a Book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review a Book   Review a Book I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 12:37 pm

Taman wrote:
Catching fire - erm, bit of a disappointment really. Its more relationship based and the "twists" I saw coming miles away. Luckily the rebellion started, I was getting pretty tired with people just taking it and especially with Katniss.. . I don't need to see her moping around and limping between the boys for another 300 pages. Its still a good book but very much a middle book.. just something to keep the ball rolling before the (hopefully good) end game.

Catching Fire was my favorite one, because the characters were more developed. Also I LOVED how they did the quarter quell game. I thought the whole clock thing and the tropical rainforest was cool.

I remember when I read it the first time, I was like how in the world are both Katniss AND Peeta going to win AGAIN? That would have seemed ridiculous but they made it more plausible by having 6 of them survive. Which I did not see that coming.

When Plutarch showed Katniss his pocketwatch early in the book, I did get that the mockingjay was him trying to tell Katniss that he is an ally, but I didnt get that he was also trying to reference how the games were going to be.

Another part of the book I really enjoyed was getting to know more of the winners from past games and districts, as well as learning how Haymitch won his games, etc.

However, Suzanne Collins had some bad math going on when she made it sound like for the reapings that most of the other districts still had
"plenty of tributes to select from" even though there had only been 74 hunger games. If you divide 74 by 12 districts, if all the districts had evenly won, that would only leave each district with having 6 tributes. District 12 won the least often but still had 3 (or would have had two had not two of them won in the last one) but that only gives a few more extra wins for the other districts and she said about 10 of the past victors had died so that leaves very few people from the other districts to be selected from.

Not important, just a nitpicky thing that I noticed!
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

Review a Book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review a Book   Review a Book I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 3:11 pm

Jesse - no I haven't read Potters. I might though.

Michele - thusfar I can say that the third book is the worst of the lot. I am pretty frustrated with it (hundred pages to go) but lets hope there is a decent ending at least!

Back to top Go down
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

Review a Book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review a Book   Review a Book I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 11:42 am

in mockingjay, I liked the beginning and the end the best. I liked learning about district 13 and how things go on over there and are they good, or are they actually just as evil as the capital? And Katniss going back to 12 to see the ruins. And I know you arent close to finishing it, but I also like the last few chapters. I did not care for all the "propro" stuff and all the war stuff (which is from the middle to the end, I doubt you got that far yet) but the ending was satisfying, for me anyways.

Also book 3 convinced me unequivocally that Peeta was the man for Katniss, not Gale (though I didnt have much doubt to the contrary before that) the second book is the only book that I had a slight leaning for gale, but it was slight and even in that book, Peeta still won me over in the end. But in book 3, for me Peeta triumphed. (im not saying which one won her in the end, only which one book 3 made me root for over the other)
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

Review a Book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review a Book   Review a Book I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 5:34 pm

Mockinjay - arghghg. I truly struggled with this. It did not felt as polished as the first two. I started with hope because I was expecting a war. Well there was a sort of war but even that was made hard to follow and pointless. The biggest problem is Katniss. Because she doesn't really care one way or the other, how the war ends, you kind of stop caring too. And this is already before the spoilers at the end which justify it. The end just about saves this book though. I think for me the best part starts with Tigris, I liked most of it after then. Before that and the tunnel crap... booring and messy. There was also a suprise death! Brutal!

All in all its a worthy trio but I would have been happier with just reading the first. But with the first being so damn good, how could I have stopped?

Michele - About Peeta.. the ending proved your point.
Back to top Go down
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

Review a Book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review a Book   Review a Book I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 10:54 am

Katniss only seemed to ever have romantic feelings for gale only whenever she saw Gale hurting over her. But her feelings for Peeta were more natural and overflowed out of her at unexpected times, even. Most of the time her feelings for him did not have to do with feeling bad that he loves her and she doesnt feel the same way.

My sister thinks that gale is a useless character only created just to give Peeta and Katniss more of a challenge. Even before reading Mockingjay she thought this.
Back to top Go down
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

Review a Book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review a Book   Review a Book I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 11:15 pm

I just finished reading Stephen Kings's 11/22/63.

Jesse thought the book sucked and was boring, but I LOVED IT! I thought it was awesome, a great story that kept my attention the whole time, even during the slow parts.

The whole concept of time travel the way it is done in this book is very thought provoking and I think is a great subject to explore further.

how much can changing events back in time, even smaller, impact the world at large in present day? The butterfly affect. Very interesting,
Back to top Go down
Auntie Maine

Review a Book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review a Book   Review a Book I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 9:18 am

That book is in my stack to read. I keep putting it off for some reason. Keep thinking it is going to be one of those books I am going to have to be in the mood for. Review a Book 2183661037 My friend that lent it to me liked it. She also said for me to get plenty of Root Beer but would not tell me why.Said I would get it when I read it.
Back to top Go down
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

Review a Book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review a Book   Review a Book I_icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 1:40 pm

haha! Yea that book did make me want to drink a really good rootbeer float!
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

Review a Book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review a Book   Review a Book I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 9:17 pm

Twilight -absolute waste of time. Its terribly boring and the so called romance is a romance between a physically challenged teenager and a stalker moron vampire. Yey.
Back to top Go down
darkeyes80

darkeyes80

Review a Book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review a Book   Review a Book I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 6:52 am

LOL. and the vampire in question is so stupid; he STILL goes to school.

have to get back into some reading. haven't picked up anything in ages
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

Review a Book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review a Book   Review a Book I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 10:33 pm

Really, really liked Pride and prejudice. Did not see that coming at all. Its funny, light and still smart. Thumbs up.
Back to top Go down
darkeyes80

darkeyes80

Review a Book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review a Book   Review a Book I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 12:09 am

So; i decided to eat shit and give Kelly Armstrong another go; Broken.

She's not a bad writer. But it's just like with Charlaine Harris. It's basically a well written chick-flick in a supernatural world. and i have read chick-lit (Sophie Kinsella and that kinda stuff) and some of it is makes for very enjoyable reading! But, this I don't like. It's the kind of writing style i imagine women masturbating to. It's full of kinky animal-sex.and feeling "naughty" and 'edgy' because it's werewolves, vampires, demons, telekinetic people and shifters. It's exactly like Charlaine harris and just as forgettable. Only difference; "sookie" is called Elena and she' not a fairy; she's a werewolf.
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

Review a Book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review a Book   Review a Book I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 4:18 am

I read Blaine Harden's Escape From Camp 14. Its a real story about a guy who escaped from one of the work camps in North-Korea. His only crime was that his uncle had escaped to South Korea so rest of the family was sent to a camp as punishment. A must read, just so you get more info about the whole mess that is North Korea.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Review a Book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review a Book   Review a Book I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Review a Book
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Garden District :: 1239 First Street :: Ricean reading-
Jump to: