Anne Rice discussion and more

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Disco Queen Donna Summer Dead At Age 63

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Auntie Maine

PostSubject: Disco Queen Donna Summer Dead At Age 63   Fri May 18, 2012 6:44 am

Donna Summer, whom millions of fans revered as "the Queen of Disco," has died at the age of 63 in Florida after a battle with cancer, the Associated Press confirmed with the singer's family Thursday morning.

Summer performing in October 2011The news comes as a surprise to those who were not aware that she was ill. The legendary superstar was publicly active as recently as last June, when she appeared as a guest panelist on Bravo's music reality show Platinum Hit.

However, a report by TMZ, which initially broke the story, notes that those close to the singer--known for mega-hits including "Last Dance" and "Bad Girls"--revealed she had been trying to hide how sick she was. A source said that Summer did not seem to be in that bad of shape two weeks ago.

She is survived by her adult daughters Mimi (by her first husband, actor Helmuth Sommer), Brooklyn and Amanda (by second husband Bruce Sudano).

In addition to her status as a pioneer in the dance music genre, Summer was a five-time Grammy Award winner, the first artist ever to score three back-to-back No. 1 double albums, and was nominated--but not chosen--for induction into the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame in 2010. She is credited with influencing stars ranging from Madonna and Michael Jackson, to Beyonce and Rihanna. Her last album, Crayons, was released in 2008.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Auntie Maine

PostSubject: Re: Disco Queen Donna Summer Dead At Age 63   Fri May 18, 2012 6:45 am

I danced and danced and danced to her when I was a teenager. I thought she was so very beautiful too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Judge Jane
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Disco Queen Donna Summer Dead At Age 63   Fri May 18, 2012 7:54 am

Very sad, another icon gone too soon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Auntie Maine

PostSubject: Re: Disco Queen Donna Summer Dead At Age 63   Sat May 19, 2012 10:01 am

When I was fifteen I wanted to look just like her. I used to do drag to the mirror in my bedroom to her songs wearing my moms dresses and shoes.My mother had tiny size 5 feet and a penchant for glitzy spike high high heel shoes. I had a whole act made up to On The Radio where the letter falls out of the mans trench-coat and the story starts. I knew all about drag queens from my Uncle Genes friends and here I was too young to even go out making up my own numbers. MacArthur Park was my dance song to end all. Loved the visualization from the odd lyrics to the fantastic dance beat. I still know places that play Last Dance as the final song of the evening.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Judge Jane
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Disco Queen Donna Summer Dead At Age 63   Mon May 21, 2012 7:51 am

We analysed the lyrics to MacArthur Park in class when I was 11, my teacher was cool! I never knew what it was until much later, I was like oh it's the cake song!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LadyMandingo

PostSubject: Re: Disco Queen Donna Summer Dead At Age 63   Sun May 27, 2012 7:01 am

what is MacArthur Park about? I never have really listened to the lyrics, I dont care for that song so I dont usually listen to it all the way through.

On The Radio is def my favorite DS song
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nicky Mayfair

PostSubject: Re: Disco Queen Donna Summer Dead At Age 63   Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:43 am

her Stock/Aitken/Waterman album was the best!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Another_Place_and_Time

PostSubject: Re: Disco Queen Donna Summer Dead At Age 63   

Back to top Go down

Disco Queen Donna Summer Dead At Age 63
Page 1 of 1