The Garden District
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anne Rice discussion and more

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

politikos

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Auntie Maine

politikos Empty
PostSubject: politikos   politikos I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 12:39 am

I am so glad these articles keep coming out about this horrible old man and his asshole son. Thank goodness the intelligentsia of this nation saw through the old one and cast him aside in his aspirations for presidency.

Why the new Ron Paul Institute is terrible news for Rand Paul

The nascent libertarian think tank has brought on some colorful characters that could complicate Rand Paul's attempts to mainstream Paulism
Last week, while most of the U.S. was focusing on the bombings in Boston and fertilizer plant explosion in West, Texas, recently retired Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) launched his own think tank, the Ron Paul Institute for Peace and Prosperity. The stated goal of the the institute is to continue and expand "Paul's lifetime of public advocacy for a peaceful foreign policy and the protection of civil liberties at home."

On Thursday, columnist James Kirchick trashed the new institute at The Daily Beast. "There is nothing inherently wrong with noninterventionism," the cornerstone of Paul's foreign policy, says Kirchick. But when you look at who's on the institute's advisory board and academic board, he points out, it becomes clear that Paul has "decisively thrown in his lot with a bevy of conspiracy theorists, cranks, and apologists for some of the worst regimes on the planet."

The advisory board, Kirchick says, includes Lew Rockwell, Paul's former chief of staff and the man most probably responsible for the "toxic stew of racism, homophobia, anti-Semitism, sympathy for right-wing militia movements, and support for a litany of conspiracy theories" in Ron Paul's branded newsletters in the 1990s; and Fox News legal analyst Judge Andrew Napolitano, a 9/11 skeptic.

The Paul Institute's academic board is even kookier, says Kirchick. The "nuttiest" member is probably John Laughland, "a British writer who has never met a Central or Eastern European autocrat he didn't like" and is a noted apologist for the late Serbian President Slobodan Milosevic. Then there are the full-out 9/11 conspiracy theorists like Eric Magolis and Butler Shaffer. "And what would an enterprise featuring Ron Paul be without a little Civil War revisionism?" Kirchick asks. For that, Paul tapped the "neo-Confederate" Loyola University professor Walter Block, who "blames most of America's current problems on 'the monster Lincoln.'"

Paul disavowed the fringe views of Rockwell and his other supporters when he was running for president, Kirchick adds, but now that he has formally associated these cranks with his institute, it is "impossible to extricate Paul from the extremist views of his hangers-on."

Affiliating himself with some "unsavory wack jobs on the fringes of American politics" won't really hurt Paul, says Walter Russell Mead at The American Interest. "Having retired from Congress and never gotten far in Republican presidential politics, the elder Mr. Paul can safely hang out with all the Confederate apologists, truthers, and Putin sympathizers he wants." But this is disastrous for the political ambitions of his son.

Sen. Rand Paul has wanted to reach out to the sensible middle without losing the tinfoil hatters; his father's choice of board members makes that line much harder to walk. Senator Paul wants to be the future of the GOP, but to get there now he's going to have to say in public that his father's nutty friends have no place in his politics or his life. The son's interests required that the father play nice, but Ron Paul has never been one to play by the rules. [American Interest]
Paul supporters might note that many of the critics of the Paul Institute's advisory boards are at least sympathetic to neoconservative ideals — Kirchick, for example, has written for Commentary, The Weekly Standard, The Washington Examiner, and Mead's own The American Interest, along with a host of less ideological publications — and Paul's new institute prominently features a program called "Neo-Con Watch."

Also, as The Washington Examiner's Sean Higgins notes, Paul's advisory board doesn't just include "notable names on the libertarian right" — it also features former Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio), "the former leader of the Congressional Progressive Caucus and a major advocate for unions, universal health care, tobacco regulation, expanding entitlements," and other policies "diametrically opposed to libertarianism."

If the "radical right and radical left" can coexist on the Paul Institute's board, maybe there is a sizable constituency for Paul's views — a well that Rand Paul might be able to draw from as well.
The American Interest's Mead isn't buying it. It's no coincidence that "the young Paul was conspicuously absent from the press conference announcing the institute's launch," Mead says. But that's not enough to save him from this fiasco, he adds. "Ron Paul has come close to wrecking his son's presidential hopes, and there is no telling just how much more trouble he and his friends will be making."
Back to top Go down
Denovissimus

Denovissimus

politikos Empty
PostSubject: Re: politikos   politikos I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 4:50 am

politikos 2271603068
Back to top Go down
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

politikos Empty
PostSubject: Re: politikos   politikos I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 2:08 am

oh a man who wants peace and prosperity, who is against bombing and killing thousands of people in other countries, who is against our taxpayer money going towars and causing millions of people from around the world to hate us. a man who instead wants to build peace and commerce and actually wants other countries to start to like us. Oh what a horrible, terrible man he is!!!! How awful! All hail the glorious Obama! A man who continues to kill thousands of people overseas, who continues to put our soliders in harms waiy, who wants drones flying all over our country to spy on us, who has increased homeland spying through the patriot act, who has written into law the NDAA, taking away our habeaus corpeaus rights. The man whose campaign was almost entirely funded by the big banks and corporations. The man who is doing everything to take away our food rights. This man is a great man.

BUt that Ron Paul, wow he is a real asshole! The man who never has had any special interest ties, who wont even talk to a lobbyist, whose entire campaign was funded by the military and the people. The man who attracted the biggest crowds to every speaking event during his campaign, always attracting bigger crowds than Romney, and often bigger than Obama. Yea the people saw right through that old asshole! Right because the GOP or the elite would NEVER tamper with elections to make sure the man of the people wouldn't get in the whitehouse, or anything. No those things have never ever happened in our history and never would. The man who sees each person as an individual with rights, not sees them as a black man or a gay man and putting people in categories. Why would anyone want such heinous evil in the world?
Back to top Go down
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

politikos Empty
PostSubject: Re: politikos   politikos I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 2:13 am

and this article cant possibly be slanted or liberal biased or corporate bought, or anything like that. That is not a possibility at all, either.
Back to top Go down
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

politikos Empty
PostSubject: Re: politikos   politikos I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 2:21 am

a man who has given free medical care to thousands of poor people, a man who actually understands economics and has tried to get rid of the federal income tax and the corrupt private bank the Federal Reserve who prints out fake money into our economy, eroding our currency. oh I know, he is such an evil tyrant. What a monster!
Back to top Go down
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

politikos Empty
PostSubject: Re: politikos   politikos I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 2:27 am

all 24 years in congress he actually READ every single bill in its entirety that came across his desk before voting on it and made his vote based on whether it was constitutional or not, rather than how his party told him he should vote and his son does the same thing! I know what complete evil that is! Why would we actually want our elected officials to actually READ bills before they vote on them? And why would we want them to uphold the constitution?

Oh and not only did Dr Paul and now his son always read bils before voting, but both of them gives back or gave back 1/3 of their income back to the treasury every year and both of them reject the nicely padded healthcare benefits and other benefits (including the pension that congressmen get after only serving for 2 years!) that are awarded only to those in DC but that none of us laymen could ever get. Nor do they ever take brides or make their riches from insider trading or any of that like most of the rest of congress does, I know such complete evil they are! Why would we ever want people like that in the whitehouse!
Back to top Go down
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

politikos Empty
PostSubject: Re: politikos   politikos I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 2:28 am

ok I am done, unless I can think of more lol
Back to top Go down
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

politikos Empty
PostSubject: Re: politikos   politikos I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 2:29 am

sorry I just keep thinking of all the ways that the Pauls are heinous awful men!
Back to top Go down
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

politikos Empty
PostSubject: Re: politikos   politikos I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 2:29 am

sorry I just keep thinking of all the ways that the Pauls are heinous awful men!
Back to top Go down
Denovissimus

Denovissimus

politikos Empty
PostSubject: Re: politikos   politikos I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 4:41 am

Ron Paul is a delusional old goat whose isolationist policies are unrealistic and can never be as long as he too supports this free market crap system, and as long as he continues to vomit forth states rights bullshit when in the UNITED STATES of America we should have common laws governing us all!
Back to top Go down
Sheila O

Sheila O

politikos Empty
PostSubject: Re: politikos   politikos I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 6:24 am

[quoteMicheleandiword]oh a man who wants peace and prosperity, who is against bombing and killing thousands of people in other countries, who is against our taxpayer money going towars and causing millions of people from around the world to hate us. a man who instead wants to build peace and commerce and actually wants other countries to start to like us. Oh what a horrible, terrible man he is!!!! How awful! All hail the glorious Obama! A man who continues to kill thousands of people overseas, who continues to put our soliders in harms waiy, who wants drones flying all over our country to spy on us, who has increased homeland spying through the patriot act, who has written into law the NDAA, taking away our habeaus corpeaus rights. The man whose campaign was almost entirely funded by the big banks and corporations. The man who is doing everything to take away our food rights. This man is a great man.

Word, Michelw

BUt that Ron Paul, wow he is a real asshole! The man who never has had any special interest ties, who wont even talk to a lobbyist, whose entire campaign was funded by the military and the people. The man who attracted the biggest crowds to every speaking event during his campaign, always attracting bigger crowds than Romney, and often bigger than Obama. Yea the people saw right through that old asshole! Right because the GOP or the elite would NEVER tamper with elections to make sure the man of the people wouldn't get in the whitehouse, or anything. No those things have never ever happened in our history and never would. The man who sees each psuch heinous evil in the world?[/quote]
Back to top Go down
Sheila O

Sheila O

politikos Empty
PostSubject: Re: politikos   politikos I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 6:34 am

Oh man, I'm on my mobile, I'm hungover and sexhausted. I might come back to this thread later....
Back to top Go down
Denovissimus

Denovissimus

politikos Empty
PostSubject: Re: politikos   politikos I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 11:06 am

Word my ass!
Back to top Go down
Sheila O

Sheila O

politikos Empty
PostSubject: Re: politikos   politikos I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 1:43 pm

I appreciate the fact that he doesn't want to bomb the shit out of foreign countries, spending BILLIONS of dollars that the US cannot afford to meddle in other people's business.

Since when did you and Dan become Hawks?/
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

politikos Empty
PostSubject: Re: politikos   politikos I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 3:48 pm

One thing I find interesting is his military funding though he is against stirring shit in other countries.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

politikos Empty
PostSubject: Re: politikos   politikos I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

politikos
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Garden District :: 1239 First Street :: The double parlour-
Jump to: