The Garden District
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anne Rice discussion and more

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Seen a movie? Rate it!

Go down 
+7
alondrianyx
Denovissimus
LadyMandingo
Taman
Nicky Mayfair
sassycatj
Judge Jane
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

Seen a movie?  Rate it! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seen a movie? Rate it!   Seen a movie?  Rate it! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 12:29 pm

Taman wrote:
Hunger games - yep, the book is better. But that's no suprise of course. Had I seen the movie first, I would have called it "whatever". The movie works better if you know the background because you can imagine it better. The changes aren't big and they aren't the problem. The problem is that you don't care what happens to the characters and the hunger games are more of a camping trip for kids! Katniss for example is never hungry or thirsty, she gets those gifts all the time! Rues moment is short and thus you don't really get why Katniss gets so upset. And the reasons for blowing up the contestants goods is not really given either. So... if you read the book, its okay because you know more, if not... you propably don't care one way or the other. Oh and also Haymitch... biggest adaptation failure like ever!

I didnt think about it that way but I think you are right, Anne. Yea I didnt imagine anyone who looked like Woody Harleson when I read the books as Haymitch. However, I do like Woody in the part, though.

I pictured a 40 something bald guy with dark hair and a big beer belly when I read the books.
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: Seen a movie? Rate it!   Seen a movie?  Rate it! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 3:14 pm

The problem with Haymitch is that he was made tipsy and nice. In the books he vomits around, is a total mess and mean. He just barely comes through in the end as a good guy! Woody did the same role he has done for the last 5 movies. He is just too likeble! If I pointed one character that was totally raped, it would be him! I was pretty cool with the rest of them.
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: Seen a movie? Rate it!   Seen a movie?  Rate it! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 5:28 pm

Shame - damn boring! The lead char and the vibe of the movie reminded me of American Psycho though. That's a plus.

The girl with a dragon tattoo - I did not love it... I guess I liked it enough to give it a hall pass. I just do not buy that r/l with Mikael and Lisbeth. I know its in the books as well but I just don't feel Lisbeth would fuck Mikael. I am just saying! Writer is wrong! Seen a movie?  Rate it! - Page 3 2271603068

Back to top Go down
StevieF

StevieF

PostSubject: Re: Seen a movie? Rate it!   Seen a movie?  Rate it! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 5:14 am

Cemetery Junction, written/directed by Ricky Gevais

It was quite good easy viewing for an off work sick day yesterday

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cemetery_Junction_(film)
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: Seen a movie? Rate it!   Seen a movie?  Rate it! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 4:19 am

Avengers - not as fun as I thought it would be. Hulk finally worked though! Seen a movie?  Rate it! - Page 3 949469974

A Good old fashioned orgy - Suprisingly funny.
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: Seen a movie? Rate it!   Seen a movie?  Rate it! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 4:23 am

MiB3 (3D) - yep, they are running out of jokes. It offered few smiles, few cool effects and that was that. No need to watch it in 3D.
Back to top Go down
Judge Jane
Admin
Judge Jane

PostSubject: Re: Seen a movie? Rate it!   Seen a movie?  Rate it! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 3:29 am

Snow White and the Huntsman - better than expected!
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: Seen a movie? Rate it!   Seen a movie?  Rate it! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 4:14 am

Ghost rider 2 - looked and felt much more cheap which was propably the case. The first one was boring, this was pointless.

Project x - What a party. Takes awhile to get into it but it takes you back. High school years and partying and how exciting it was. I kind of liked this flick.

Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: Seen a movie? Rate it!   Seen a movie?  Rate it! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 3:18 pm

Prometheus - Hauntingly beautiful images and first part of the script works. However at some point it becomes an uninteresting monster story. You know we all wanted to see the prealiens but its just basically some black liquid in the floor.. not very scary! This movie leaves you with even more questions than you had before. It could be a plot hole or a highway to sequels. I am guessing the latter.

Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: Seen a movie? Rate it!   Seen a movie?  Rate it! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 6:05 am

Wrath of the Gods - I think it was better than the first, had very clever visual effects. Its still not exactly brain surgery, more like playdough, but that's what these movies are for. For play.

21 Jump street - Got bored. Mostly because I did not really care about either of the leads. Watch only for free, don't pay for this.

Last edited by Taman on Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
darkeyes80

darkeyes80

PostSubject: Re: Seen a movie? Rate it!   Seen a movie?  Rate it! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 8:54 am

I'm of the 21 Jump street era. I would NEVER watch a remake of such an epic series. It would only ruin the memories. 21 Jump street gave us Johnny Depp!
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: Seen a movie? Rate it!   Seen a movie?  Rate it! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 4:27 pm

He makes a visit in it. I never watched the show.
Back to top Go down
darkeyes80

darkeyes80

PostSubject: Re: Seen a movie? Rate it!   Seen a movie?  Rate it! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 8:23 pm

What!!!??? oh..you have been deprived, my friend...That show was amazing and not just because of "the Depp". I mean; the theme-tune alone....wow

Get ready to JUMP 21 Jump Streeeeeeeeeeeeet
Back to top Go down
Denovissimus

Denovissimus

PostSubject: Re: Seen a movie? Rate it!   Seen a movie?  Rate it! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 1:34 pm

The Gray -- Liam Neeson continues to be The Man. Liked this movie until the very last shot where we were robbed of some badassery. I tell you this, them wolves were fucking scary.

Chronicle -- I read some very good reviews and they were all correct. This is one great movie, one of the best first person camera movies probably ever made. It's a must watch because it was so damn cool and so well done.
Back to top Go down
darkeyes80

darkeyes80

PostSubject: Re: Seen a movie? Rate it!   Seen a movie?  Rate it! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 2:21 pm

The Tourist.

Jolie and Depp in one movie. Luckily they have more talent than beauty(although, i still think that angelina has trouble with comedy.) which, considering they're beautiful people, is very good news indeed. the story is nothing new. It reminds me a lot of the "warm-hearted" action/romantic comedies of the 80's. You know, a filmsy plot about stolen money/drugs /a diamond/whatever, a beautiful woman with a secret, a chance encounter with a perfect stranger and plenty of shenanigans.

The movie is charming. Angelina delivers but, Johnny Depp shows-again-why he's so good. The comedic moments were hilariously subtle, the plot was easy to follow but, leaves the viewer with a feeling that, they're very intelligent for getting it right. That's the good thing about the movie; It has been done before but, feels like an original. Beautifully filmed in beautiful venice(it looks just as good on screen as it does in r/l; great camera work.)
annoying : Jolie's english accent. it isn't bad but, she really doesn't have to pronounce the name Alexander as "Alexahndah"to make it sound english.
Back to top Go down
darkeyes80

darkeyes80

PostSubject: Re: Seen a movie? Rate it!   Seen a movie?  Rate it! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 2:28 pm

The Rite

Exorcism and anthony Hopkins! woooooo-well, maybe not. Based on a true story but, kinda meh. It was jumbled together. The main character was played by a really average actor. Or, maybe the actor was good but, could'nt do much with a script that bad. The movie was all over the place. It's saving grace is probably Anthony Hopkins who most likely did this on auto-pilot. A lot of his "Picasso" work and a bit of "Hannibal Lecter" for the "posession"-scenes. If the movie wanted to be taken seriously; there would be less emphasis on the exorcisms but, more on the shaken fate of the main character and the priests'(hopkins)onorthodox ways.
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: Seen a movie? Rate it!   Seen a movie?  Rate it! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 8:39 pm

Dictator - not the funniest of SBCs movies but still delivers in a quite a few places. However I think this movie shows that it might be a good thing for him to wrap it up. He has insulted everyone now so he can truly move on.
Back to top Go down
sassycatj

sassycatj

PostSubject: Re: Seen a movie? Rate it!   Seen a movie?  Rate it! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 12:15 pm

Magic Mike.
I know I wouldnt ever come across as liking male strippers but it was a fun movie. At least they werent all greasy and gross. Going with a few other chicas made it more fun too. Something to see on a wed. afternoon after a few drinks and appetizers. lol
Back to top Go down
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

PostSubject: Re: Seen a movie? Rate it!   Seen a movie?  Rate it! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 10:57 am

Requiem for A Dream

FUCKED UP BAT SHIT CRAZY!!!!!!! That movie is even more fucked up that A Clockwork Orange!!!!
Back to top Go down
darkeyes80

darkeyes80

PostSubject: Re: Seen a movie? Rate it!   Seen a movie?  Rate it! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 3:16 pm

a must see, then!

"Too big to fall" About the cause of the economic crisis. The acting is secondary to the story. don't expect any breathtaking perfomances. The script was obviously purely focussed on informing the viewer. Definately makes everything a lot easier to understand. The great thing is that, there is no bias. It's not written from a left/right point of view; just the bare facts of what went down with Fanny and Freddy, Lehman bros.Merryl Lynch,etc and the conclusion that, when push comes to shove; THE BANKS CONTROL EVERYTHING and the government is it's bitch.Left or Right; their hands are tied. Compelling viewing.

oooh. Cynthia Nixon is in it too. so weird; I can never see her as anyone else than Miranda Hobbs.
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: Seen a movie? Rate it!   Seen a movie?  Rate it! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 3:22 pm

Clockwork isn't fucked up, its awesome. And I would not call requiem fucked up either. Its about addiction and addiction can be ugly. Both are great movies Seen a movie?  Rate it! - Page 3 3753849508
Back to top Go down
sassycatj

sassycatj

PostSubject: Re: Seen a movie? Rate it!   Seen a movie?  Rate it! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 4:18 am

Quote :
Requiem for A Dream

ass to ass! lmao.

Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: Seen a movie? Rate it!   Seen a movie?  Rate it! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 7:54 pm

And that rotten hand! eww Very Happy

Dark Knight Returns - Don't want to say a lot so I won't spoil it. Its big, almost too big and the music is bit too loud and owerpowering. There are also problems with the plot and its way too long but even with that, its a success. I did not love it like I loved the dark knight but there is a lot of good in there. I am sure a rewatch will do it justice.
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: Seen a movie? Rate it!   Seen a movie?  Rate it! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 5:45 am

Saw War of the Dead and I can honestly say it was one of the worst movies I've seen. There are zombies but still, AVOID.
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: Seen a movie? Rate it!   Seen a movie?  Rate it! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 2:35 am

Woman in black - Stylished and decent. Offers few chills, however is also boring in few places.

Cabin in the woods - watchable. Offers few suprises. Its not really horror though, more like a doc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seen a movie? Rate it!   Seen a movie?  Rate it! - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Seen a movie? Rate it!
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next