The Garden District
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anne Rice discussion and more

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Lung cancer ad

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Taman

Taman

Lung cancer ad Empty
PostSubject: Lung cancer ad   Lung cancer ad I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 12:19 am

http://noonedeservestodie.org/

Do cat lovers deserver to die? How about crazy old aunts? Lung cancer ad 872919100 What do you think about the ad?

Last edited by Taman on Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

Lung cancer ad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lung cancer ad   Lung cancer ad I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 12:21 am

I know they are trying to make a point.. that is horrible to say to someone who has gotten lung cancer, say from smoking, that they deserve it. But it just seems to me that the only way to make a point these days, is to attack. To stir shit. Am I the only one?
Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

Lung cancer ad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lung cancer ad   Lung cancer ad I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 12:56 am

Lung cancer ad 1792775232

I can't even watch it, it'll set my therapy back weeks. I'm amazed I can even tolarate it's presence here in the Parlour. It's not you Anne, I just can't abide that word, or the subject and its many adherents
Back to top Go down
darkeyes80

darkeyes80

Lung cancer ad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lung cancer ad   Lung cancer ad I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 1:30 am

Okay. So I'm probably gonna get hated on or told that " I'm out of order/too harsh/whatever. It really isn't meant that way. Buuuuuuuuuuuuut....

Nick; you read it and you posted something. Why not try to react in response to the thread-subject(without having to look at the link) and not make it about your fear of it. That, IMO does more damage to your recovery than any "cancer-picture" could.
It's almost like, you see something about cancer and you just have to remind us and especially yourself, how scared you are of it. We know, you know. This isn't about your fear.
This is about; what do you think of ads like that. warning people/moddycoddling? Is it on par with ads against drink-driving?
Back to top Go down
darkeyes80

darkeyes80

Lung cancer ad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lung cancer ad   Lung cancer ad I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 2:06 am

When you accidentally run over a child with a car; should you blame the child for, playing outside?
Do you blame the driver for getting a car; a potential killing machine AND mass polluter?
Do you blame an AIDS patient for being sexually active?

I think these ads are a form of moddycoddling and also an example of our "blame-culture" on a grander scale; It's smokers, Phillip Morris, parents, the government, cars, carcinogenics,children, pharma companies, etc, etc.....but it's NEVER ourselves. Like we can't ever take full responsibility of the things in our lives we can control. Once people stop making it like we're all too dumb to decide for ourselves; we'll stop blaming, pointing fingers and issueing warnings.
I stopped smoking cigarettes because I wanted to. Not some weird-ass warning on a package
Back to top Go down
darkeyes80

darkeyes80

Lung cancer ad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lung cancer ad   Lung cancer ad I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 2:07 am

GARDEN! STOP DELETING MY POSTS! I responded to Anne's post BEFORE I posted in response to Nicky's! where did it go?
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

Lung cancer ad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lung cancer ad   Lung cancer ad I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 3:02 am

I hear you. My mother smoked, my stepdad quit. The difference between them is that my stepdad made a decision and sticked with but my mother was just.. "I'll try..". There is no try! Even Yoda knows it!

This reminds me of talks in Finland where someone suggested that we stopped paying treatments for people who have caused their own decease. Like lung cancer. I just had to roll my eyes...if they started to quit payments on the basis of us doing something harmful to our bodies, none of us would get treatment!
Back to top Go down
Judge Jane
Admin
Judge Jane

Lung cancer ad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lung cancer ad   Lung cancer ad I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 7:59 am

The ad is like that for a reason, to be hard hitting and to make people think. Do people really think people with lung cancer deserve to die? Because they brought it on themself? I've never encountered that view although granted most smokers who get it would acknowledge their own mistake, I'm sure people close to them would be sensitive enough not to ram that point home, they have enough "punishment" for their inability to quit an addictive substance. But ultimately no one can say for sure what combination of factors led to the disease.

As for Nicky's response, as soon as I saw this thread I knew what his response would be! I cringe inwardly becuase I know how it affects him. He responded honestly to how this thead made him feel,you're not wrong Rodney in what you say and i'm not "hating" on you...but any other response from Nicky would be hard for him considering his feelings about that disease. He can't not be honest about it and his strength is admitting how this makes him feel cos it can't be easy to put your flaws out there for scrutiny. I know his response is irrational and he knows it too and yet it remains...for now...until he can find a way past it.
Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

Lung cancer ad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lung cancer ad   Lung cancer ad I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 8:02 am

I wouldn't call it entirely irrational - it's still one of the most hateful words in the English language, and no one's ever get to break out the champagne when they see it
Back to top Go down
Judge Jane
Admin
Judge Jane

Lung cancer ad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lung cancer ad   Lung cancer ad I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 8:12 am

Words have no power, our reactions to them give them the power, you know this.

Are there any other words you despise?
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

Lung cancer ad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lung cancer ad   Lung cancer ad I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 3:13 pm

What you fear, you must confront. Knowledge is power and one needs to take the power back every day. I am proud of Nicky for not moving this thread though it stings him. Hiding and covering is never the answer.
Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

Lung cancer ad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lung cancer ad   Lung cancer ad I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 6:21 pm

thanks Anne. I don't always agree with the 'what you fear' line though. If a person was scared of being mugged or raped, you wouldn't suggest they get mugged or raped as a way of overcoming that fear.
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

Lung cancer ad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lung cancer ad   Lung cancer ad I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 6:42 pm

lol, there are irrational and rational things in everything. Getting raped is another matter than reading about cancer.

I have a thing with raw chicken meat. I get so stressed while I cook it that often I can't eat it when its done. I still try to cook it and eat it because I know its ridiculous. I like chicken, I just hate touching it when its raw. And its only chicken, I have no probs with other meats.
Back to top Go down
darkeyes80

darkeyes80

Lung cancer ad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lung cancer ad   Lung cancer ad I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 1:08 am

Quote :
He can't not be honest about it and his strength is admitting how this makes him feel cos it can't be easy to put your flaws out there for scrutiny. I know his response is irrational and he knows it too and yet it remains...for now...until he can find a way past it.

I know. And reading it back; I can see that, I could've chosen my words a bit more carefully.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lung cancer ad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lung cancer ad   Lung cancer ad I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lung cancer ad
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Garden District :: 1239 First Street :: The double parlour-
Jump to: