The Garden District
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anne Rice discussion and more

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Movies everyone has to watch

Go down 
+5
Taman
sassycatj
darkeyes80
Nicky Mayfair
alondrianyx
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
alondrianyx

alondrianyx

Movies everyone has to watch Empty
PostSubject: Movies everyone has to watch   Movies everyone has to watch I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 7:48 am

ok, what are the films (and i suppose tv shows) that everyone must watch at least once

to start off:

fifth element: the way it was put together is just stunning, its funny and visually amazing. luc besson originally envisioned this as 3 films, leeloo, zorg and mr shadow were all supposed to be seperate but the studio weren't sure and at the time it was unheard of to fund 2 films back to back, let alone 3. i really dislike opera but the diva singing is one of my favourite bits.

dark angel: started the careers of many of todays stars, the story was very interesting and joshua was my favourite character

the original V: worth watching just for the rodent eating Very Happy

you don't have to go into any detail if you don't want but list away
Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

PostSubject: Re: Movies everyone has to watch   Movies everyone has to watch I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 8:02 am

of those I saw the original V when it was on but it gave me nightmares, esp the ceasarian alien baby birth!

I think everyone should see the Cate Blanchet Elizabeth films, esp. the second one
Back to top Go down
darkeyes80

darkeyes80

PostSubject: Re: Movies everyone has to watch   Movies everyone has to watch I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 8:30 am

OMG! Totally agree on the fifth element! i have seen that movie so many times. It's visually STUNNING! I mean; what do you expect when all the extras are supermodels and the clothes are designed by JP Gaultier!

I think EVERYbody needs to see 'the Spitfire Grill' a charming small movie. no big stars(apart from Ellen Burstyn). It's about a an ex-con lady, just got out of prison andgot herself a job to take care of this old lady in some weird little town called Gillead. Not gonna tell you too much. but the little lady has a profound impact on the small population. It's absolutely charming and funny and sad and...*sigh* just watch it.

Muriels' Wedding...typical aussie,"underdog" movie. It was Toni Colette's big break and deservedly so; she is on of the the best actors, IMO and it's one of those delightful movies to watch when it's raining outside.

"the women" came across it by accident. i'm not a huge fan of black and white movies but, this one wone me over. The oldest story in the book; woman finds out that, her man is cheating on her. But the way it is handled is such a sign of those times. In some way; the dignity with which these women carry themselves, comes across stronber than those cunt-thrusting "I-don't-need-no-man-run-the-world-GIRLS-women":P
And it has one of the best and classy insults in movie history:

"Actually, there is a name for ladies like you, but it isn't used in hgh society...outside of a kennel"SNAP!

And another one: "Cabaret"...I know, i know...another musical. an to be quite honest I wasn't sure I was gonna like it. Sure the gays like the musicals but, I don't like em for the sake of being musicals. most of the time , i think they suck:P...but, my goodness..CLASS ACT. All about smiling in the face of adversity. That poor young guy and the poor nightclub singer(Liza) trying to make sense of things in a time when the Nazi partei was gaining control in germany. Liza permanently hurt her back during the shooting of the "Mein herr"-scene. she was supposed to look like an amateur dancer so; Bob Fosse told her to use improper technique(Liza is a highly trained dancer) and eventhough it hurt like hell; it almost seems worth it. classic perfomance. i normally find Liza a bit "too much". But, she was so ADORABLE in this movie. "Life is a cabaret, ol' chum...come to the cabaret" one of the best songs, ever.
Back to top Go down
sassycatj

sassycatj

PostSubject: Re: Movies everyone has to watch   Movies everyone has to watch I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 10:01 am

Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte.
Rosemarys baby.

these scared the shit out of me lol
Oh and WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE Movies everyone has to watch 3877000266
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: Movies everyone has to watch   Movies everyone has to watch I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 3:31 pm

Nosferatu. And I mean the first 1922 version. Its a classic and suprisingly effective.

A Fistful of Dollars (1964). I mean who doesn't love these westerns?? What a music, what a lead, what a movie. My father and I watched these and James Bonds movies all the time.

Predator (1987). Naturally and hands down. Its one of those action movies with Arnie that you cannot miss. Predator is also one of the coolest characters ever created. This movie sums a lot of the action films in the 80s, there are of course many other good ones, incl. terminator but I chose this for its primal and bit gay sexual energy. Very Happy

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004), many missed this. Its a love story gone wrong. And because it goes wrong and its sort of mean too, I just like it.

And you should also watch everything Stanley Kubrick ever directed PERIOD Movies everyone has to watch 3753849508

Back to top Go down
darkeyes80

darkeyes80

PostSubject: Re: Movies everyone has to watch   Movies everyone has to watch I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 3:21 am

Even " Eyes wide shut"?
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: Movies everyone has to watch   Movies everyone has to watch I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 3:31 am

Yes, of course!
Back to top Go down
alondrianyx

alondrianyx

PostSubject: Re: Movies everyone has to watch   Movies everyone has to watch I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 4:14 am

and only ever watch predator on dvd, most of the time when its on tv they slash it (only seen the full version on tv once) and lose all the best (goriest) bits
Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

PostSubject: Re: Movies everyone has to watch   Movies everyone has to watch I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 4:16 am

Kubrick's Lolita is a must-see
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: Movies everyone has to watch   Movies everyone has to watch I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 4:43 am

They still do that Alondria? I remember when it was first shown in tv, it was slashed but only for few years and then it was out. At some point they stopped cutting them.. maybe early 90s. Thank god!

Oh when I was in London, they showed terminator 2 and even that was cut!!! Pussy versions are a no no :evil:
Back to top Go down
Sheila O

Sheila O

PostSubject: Re: Movies everyone has to watch   Movies everyone has to watch I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 7:23 am

I love Eyes Wide Shut. I saw it eight times in the theatre....

Yes I agree, everything by Kubrick and Id add to that everything my Martin Scorcese.

Love,love,love The Women too, Rodney! If you like that you would probably also like A Letter to Three Wives.

Oh what else? Oh so many...Streetcar Named Desire though it is an emotionally intense and wrenching experience watching it.

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof starring Liz Taylor who not only looks her mozt stunning but is a great actress inthis movie.

Gone With The Wind Very Happy

Casablanca

Anything by Alfred Hitchcock but especially The Birdd, Vertigo and
Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

PostSubject: Re: Movies everyone has to watch   Movies everyone has to watch I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 7:24 am

Psycho
Back to top Go down
Sheila O

Sheila O

PostSubject: Re: Movies everyone has to watch   Movies everyone has to watch I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 7:29 am

Ugh posting from mobile Movies everyone has to watch 2753856606

Anyway yeah The Birds, Vertigo and Rear Window.

Gladiator, LA Confidential (great movies and Russell Crowe at his good enough to eat and I mean that literally best)

Braveheart,Apocalypto (Im a big fan of Mad Mels directorial talents)

Oh I could go on....
Back to top Go down
Sheila O

Sheila O

PostSubject: Re: Movies everyone has to watch   Movies everyone has to watch I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 7:31 am

Yeah Psycho definitely. I still dont understand why (was it Gus Van Sant?) did that scene by scene remake of it though. Movies everyone has to watch 3912710552
Back to top Go down
Sheila O

Sheila O

PostSubject: Re: Movies everyone has to watch   Movies everyone has to watch I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 7:33 am

Oh Once Upon A Time in The West and Straw Dogs ( the original with Dustin Hoffman). Both absolute classics.
Back to top Go down
alondrianyx

alondrianyx

PostSubject: Re: Movies everyone has to watch   Movies everyone has to watch I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 8:32 am

they even cut 10 things i hate about you anne, the censorship in this country is fucking stupid!
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: Movies everyone has to watch   Movies everyone has to watch I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 3:05 pm

What was cut? Heath singing? Very Happy

Back to top Go down
darkeyes80

darkeyes80

PostSubject: Re: Movies everyone has to watch   Movies everyone has to watch I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 11:20 pm

La vie en Rose. Beautiful film. It's so beautiful that, you won't realise, untill the very end, what a fucked- up life Edith Piaff had. Only music kept the woman alive
Back to top Go down
alondrianyx

alondrianyx

PostSubject: Re: Movies everyone has to watch   Movies everyone has to watch I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 3:05 am

goonies!

lol, we turned it off after about 15 minutes it was that annoying
Back to top Go down
Sheila O

Sheila O

PostSubject: Re: Movies everyone has to watch   Movies everyone has to watch I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 5:24 am

Omg La Vie en Rose! What a wonderful movie but haunting.
Back to top Go down
darkeyes80

darkeyes80

PostSubject: Re: Movies everyone has to watch   Movies everyone has to watch I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 6:19 am

I know! it's so weird to watch.So brilliantly filmed but at the end you're like "Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn, your life sucked!"
Back to top Go down
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

PostSubject: Re: Movies everyone has to watch   Movies everyone has to watch I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 9:16 am

alondrianyx wrote:
they even cut 10 things i hate about you anne, the censorship in this country is fucking stupid!

10 things I hate about you is one of my alltime favortie movies! I must have seen it at least 300 times. I just watched it again the other day

I have tried watching The Fifth Element a few times, I just could not get into it and stopped watching it

everyone needs to see Frida!!!!!! My favorite movie, EVER! You will become obsessed with Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera after watching this movie. Their lives were beyond interesting! And the movie is visually stunning and brillantly acted by Salma Hayek and Albert Molino.

The Big Chill. One of my all time favorites.

Breakfast At Tiffanys

I loved V when I was a kid, but like you nicky it gave me nightmares as well but still loved it. I rewatched it again a few years ago when the V tv series had just started on ABC. To go back and watch it now it is a laugh riot cause the acting is so bad, the script is so corny, and the special effects are just ridiculously bad compared to today! I am still bitter that they cancelled the tv show, especially with the major cliffhanger at the end of season 2
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: Movies everyone has to watch   Movies everyone has to watch I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 3:50 pm

10 things I hate about you - its cute sure, but a favourite movie??

I've seen Frida, its suprisingly good though I don't like her paintings at all. Helps you understand them though.

And I really need to add Breakfast At Tiffanys to my list of must sees. I haven't seen that either but I know its a classic.

Back to top Go down
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

PostSubject: Re: Movies everyone has to watch   Movies everyone has to watch I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 11:58 am

I just think the lines in 10 things I hate about you are brilliant. It is in my opinion, the best teen comedy ever made. I still love it, even 13 years later
Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

PostSubject: Re: Movies everyone has to watch   Movies everyone has to watch I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 10:23 pm

the original Haunting, with Claire Bloom
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Movies everyone has to watch   Movies everyone has to watch I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Movies everyone has to watch
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next