The Garden District
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anne Rice discussion and more

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Games Of The 30th Olympiad

Go down 
+5
darkeyes80
Nicky Mayfair
Judge Jane
Denovissimus
Auntie Maine
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
AuthorMessage
darkeyes80

darkeyes80

The Games Of The 30th Olympiad - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Games Of The 30th Olympiad   The Games Of The 30th Olympiad - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 6:58 pm

I think your pet just refuses to see any point. Even when i tell him that people with mental disabilities compete in able bodied sport and paralympics); still whines:P he makes it sound as if the incapability is what lies at the heart of either games. Stevie Wonder is great because he sings great; not because he's blind. Oscar Pistorius isn't great because he doesn't have legs; he's great because he's fast on those blades. he worked damn hard for it. and all Nicky sees; is his disability and how unfair it is.
Quote :
I think what you're saying is that physical impairments are more visible than mental illness and that's why they get more sympathy
That's not what he's saying. if that's what he wanted to say- he would've said it.He's pretty clear on where he stands.

he trivializes peoples' achievements to bolster his opinion- THAT is the one thing that annoys me. Because when you try to achivieve something-anything; you'd like people to highlight what you achieved; not what you can't do. Like when he talks about his panic attacks, his OCD, his wish to become a published writer, etc, etc. When shown support; does he experience it as people simpering over him? "Well done, Nicke...despite your mentall affliction?"
those mentally impaired people at the Olympics/Paralympics don't want or get that treatment; they train, show up and they perform. Without any certainty for succes; most of them don't succeed. If you want to be noticed; you do what they do; you work your damndest at something you're good at without feeling sorry for yourself and you make a difference. Be it by writing or, something else. It beats being bitter and looking on from the sidelines. There are better ways to raise awareness; do something about it if you don't like it.
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: The Games Of The 30th Olympiad   The Games Of The 30th Olympiad - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 7:31 pm

Wow :evil:

I know a Finn that competes in the non para-teams in Finland because it is allowed but it is not nationally okay because they feel he gets an adventage from the chair so that's why he competes in paraolympics. If he was not in chair, feet paralyzed that is, he would compete in actual olympics. He is that good! So I don't see the problem.

If you have a disability, you shouldn't compete or try to achieve something? I have colitis and I am willing to talk about it. Does that mean that I should not write because people might buy more of my books for sympathy?? Yeah, right.

A lot of people like watching sports for the sake of sports, why should they ban it for the few that do not or "likes it in a wrong way". Thats madness!
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: The Games Of The 30th Olympiad   The Games Of The 30th Olympiad - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 7:34 pm

But reading back, this chat isn't really going anywhere and it was useles to post at all Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

PostSubject: Re: The Games Of The 30th Olympiad   The Games Of The 30th Olympiad - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 8:09 pm

I never said they can't have a paraolympics, but it's just another case of the physically disabled hogging all the attention/sympathy - the mentally disabled people were so invisible I dind't even know they were there. The average day of a disabled person will be full of people 'can i help you with that' etc - the average day of someone with mental disabilities will be along the lines of 'fuck off you freak' - but no one will notice or help the mentally disabled person because the physically disbabled person will be sucking all the sympathy and help away from them, like some sort of giant magnet
Back to top Go down
darkeyes80

darkeyes80

PostSubject: Re: The Games Of The 30th Olympiad   The Games Of The 30th Olympiad - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 8:30 pm

British tennisplayer. Elena Baltacha has collitis. She played whenever she could play and pretty well, too. She had it for quite some time but spoke out about it when she felt that more awareness should be raised for intestinal-afflictions....able-bodied athlete. did'nt whine; just did what she was good at. She's known for being a tennis player, not someone with collitis.
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: The Games Of The 30th Olympiad   The Games Of The 30th Olympiad - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 8:32 pm

Oh Nicky Very Happy So is this a jealousy issue? You feel that mentally disabled should get more attention? How about we give them shirts that say "I am disabled, give me some sweet luvin"? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

PostSubject: Re: The Games Of The 30th Olympiad   The Games Of The 30th Olympiad - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 9:04 pm

why shouldn't they get more attention?
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: The Games Of The 30th Olympiad   The Games Of The 30th Olympiad - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 9:19 pm

I did not say that. I am just pointing out that your negative attitude for this is rooted in jealousy. And it is understandable to a point.

Most people do not still acknowlege mental illness being an actuall ilness but just another symptom of selfishness or lazyness or whatever. This is of course bullshit. But I am also saying that little attention to something does not take it away from something else. If these paraolympics did not happen, do you think mental illnesses would then get more time and attention? Propably not.
Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

PostSubject: Re: The Games Of The 30th Olympiad   The Games Of The 30th Olympiad - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 9:25 pm

I'm not jealous, I feel sorry for people with mental health illnesses; you only have to step back see the massive discrepancy in attitudes and such, plus the simple fact of the matter is that a person who is physically disabled WILL get more help/whatever because their disability is visible.

People with mental health illnesses could wear a badge or something if they wished it to be known; if they didn't want to, just take the badge off
Back to top Go down
Denovissimus

Denovissimus

PostSubject: Re: The Games Of The 30th Olympiad   The Games Of The 30th Olympiad - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 2:35 am

I don't get the point of this discussion
Back to top Go down
darkeyes80

darkeyes80

PostSubject: Re: The Games Of The 30th Olympiad   The Games Of The 30th Olympiad - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 2:38 am

It lost it's point about 10 posts ago:P
Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

PostSubject: Re: The Games Of The 30th Olympiad   The Games Of The 30th Olympiad - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 2:49 am

prejudice is the point, and a quick perusal of the past posts makes me kingpin of the demented!! The Games Of The 30th Olympiad - Page 9 1002320772
Back to top Go down
alondrianyx

alondrianyx

PostSubject: Re: The Games Of The 30th Olympiad   The Games Of The 30th Olympiad - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 4:55 am

then maybe people should be educated better nicky. if people aren't aware then how can they know what they are dealing with? if you think that mental illness is seen in such a negative light you should try to do something about it
Back to top Go down
StevieF

StevieF

PostSubject: Re: The Games Of The 30th Olympiad   The Games Of The 30th Olympiad - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 8:25 am

Just back from my Olympic Park visit, I am overwhelmed with the whole thing. I spent over 3 hours there walking around, watching the big screens and taking in the atmosphere. I saw a Team GB Gold and Bronze win on the big screens in Park Live, which was great.

It was an amazing experience and something you don't often feel in big cities amongst strangers. Everyone was just enjoying the occasion, with music, performers and dancers, then volunteers, military and police, I chatted with them all and felt the same warmth and enjoyment that was shared by everyone there.

It actually brought tears to my eyes at the emotion I felt there, I can't describe it or do it justice, maybe it's just me but I will remember it for a long time.

I will post some photos shortly.....
Back to top Go down
StevieF

StevieF

PostSubject: Re: The Games Of The 30th Olympiad   The Games Of The 30th Olympiad - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 8:26 am

P.s.

Jane - I was chatting with some Mounted Police from South Yorkshire. I was patting their horses and noticed their badges and asked whereabouts they were from, they said Barnsley so I asked if they knew Barugh Green and they said their stables were a few miles up the road from you!
Back to top Go down
StevieF

StevieF

PostSubject: Re: The Games Of The 30th Olympiad   The Games Of The 30th Olympiad - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 7:14 pm

The Games Of The 30th Olympiad - Page 9 Olympi15

The Games Of The 30th Olympiad - Page 9 Olympi16

The Games Of The 30th Olympiad - Page 9 Olympi17

The Games Of The 30th Olympiad - Page 9 Olympi14
Back to top Go down
Judge Jane
Admin
Judge Jane

PostSubject: Re: The Games Of The 30th Olympiad   The Games Of The 30th Olympiad - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 5:52 am

Stevie that's cool, small world!

That tower thing looks like a monstrosity!
Back to top Go down
StevieF

StevieF

PostSubject: Re: The Games Of The 30th Olympiad   The Games Of The 30th Olympiad - Page 9 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 6:18 am

Yeah I'm not sure about it, I certainly wouldn't pay 15 quid to go up it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Games Of The 30th Olympiad   The Games Of The 30th Olympiad - Page 9 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Games Of The 30th Olympiad
Page 9 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9