The Garden District
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anne Rice discussion and more

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Should I self-publish...

Go down 
+4
Taman
darkeyes80
Auntie Maine
Nicky Mayfair
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

Should I self-publish... Empty
PostSubject: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 1:02 am

August 10

I want to ask your advice or opinion on the self-publishing thing. I am on the verge of taking the leap - without having a clue where to start - and just wondered what any of your thoughts were? I am at the point where I will be 86 years old and still submitting to agents and getting nowhere. A friend suggested Amazon Kindle and it looks so good that I am on the verge of doing it. All I keep hearing is that there has never been a better time to self-publish

Back to top Go down
Auntie Maine

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 2:44 am

I think maybe you should talk to another author that has done so and ask their opinion.
Back to top Go down
darkeyes80

darkeyes80

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 3:07 am

DO IT! Take that leap of faith, Nicky!
Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 3:10 am

I don't know any other authors that have done it, but it's all the rage. I am scared of taking that leap, but just now I've downloaded the Kindle App from Amazon so that is a first step
Back to top Go down
Auntie Maine

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 3:18 am

Could you not have it printed in book form later on even after doing it online?
Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 3:23 am

oh yeah I think I can, it's just that online publishing - ebooks - are all the rage right now
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 5:11 am

Has an editor looked it through at any point?
Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 5:52 am

no, and it needs an edit I suspect, but I'd have to pay
Back to top Go down
Judge Jane
Admin
Judge Jane

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 6:25 am

It sounds a good idea, I think Kindle is the future!

Back to top Go down
alondrianyx

alondrianyx

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 8:12 am

hmmm, christopher poalini self published eragon, there may be info online as to how he did it
Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 8:14 am

I think I know how, the Amazon Kindle is very easy and comes with complete instructions, I guess I am afraid to do it in case I fail
Back to top Go down
darkeyes80

darkeyes80

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 8:19 am

What if you don't fail? Do you really want to look back and think; What if?
Think like an Olympian and go for it. Plenty of moral support, you know exactly what to do, you're talented; Give it a shot.
Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 8:31 am

but that's what scares me - if I was that talented I wouldn't be going the self-publishing route, I'd be like Anne and someone would have taken me on
Back to top Go down
Auntie Maine

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 1:43 pm

Lets see what Anne has to say about it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLHy2bpCLME
Back to top Go down
darkeyes80

darkeyes80

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 10:02 pm

Inspiring....

Sidenote: anyone checked the interview with Anne and Christopher Rice? What a hottie! I did'nt think much of him from pictures. But the way he talks, his voice, his sense of humour..what a cutie and what a great interview!
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 4:07 am

Find yourself an editor, have the book throughly looked it through. Then offer it to a publishing house again and/or self publish. But do not just just publish it as it is, it needs few pair of eyes and work for sure.
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 4:09 am

And getting published... its a game of luck as well. You just need to find that one person that believes in you.
Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 7:53 pm

Taman wrote:
Find yourself an editor, have the book throughly looked it through. Then offer it to a publishing house again and/or self publish. But do not just just publish it as it is, it needs few pair of eyes and work for sure.

you don't think I should try and edit myself, Anne?
Back to top Go down
Denovissimus

Denovissimus

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 10:00 am

I purchased an eBook for my iPhone, hated doing it but the author was independent and like you Nicky tired of rejection, I liked the idea of all the profits going to him, even though ebooks are so cheap
Back to top Go down
Auntie Maine

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 1:46 am

Why writers can't edit their own books.....

http://goinswriter.com/writers-cant-edit/
Back to top Go down
Denovissimus

Denovissimus

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 6:27 am

If you are going to self publish you might as well self edit
Back to top Go down
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 10:59 am

I mean you can self edit, but you should also have at least one other person also read it and edit it. Cause you cant be objective enough of your own work. no one can
Back to top Go down
Denovissimus

Denovissimus

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 12:42 pm

I could! Should I self-publish... 1002320772
Back to top Go down
darkeyes80

darkeyes80

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 5:37 pm

You have "God"-issues; you think you created the universe. hardly an endorsement. Should I self-publish... 2271603068

But I thought every good writer knew how to "kill their darlings"; allowing an objective view to improve on what has been created.

look at Anne Rice. There is a difference between her work with an editor and without one. You be the judge.
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 1:51 am

What Rodney said. You need other(s) looking at through because you will be blind to your own problems and errors. Unless you are one of those brilliant 1% who write perfectly.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Should I self-publish...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Garden District :: 1239 First Street :: The double parlour-
Jump to: