The Garden District
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anne Rice discussion and more

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Should I self-publish...

Go down 
+4
Taman
darkeyes80
Auntie Maine
Nicky Mayfair
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Auntie Maine

Should I self-publish... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 3:27 am

Jesse darling, you cant even edit your own posts. Rolling Eyes

Nicky if you are professional editor then by all means edit your book. If you are not a professional editor and are serious about this book then let a professional edit. That is what they are for.
Back to top Go down
Denovissimus

Denovissimus

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 5:16 am

Defeats the purpose of being Independant! Just hire an English major in college then, would be much cheaper
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 5:30 am

One of my author buddies is an finnish teacher and yet her book was still checked and corrected for 2 times. Professional looks for the right things and have necessary experience. I would let a friend go through it first and then send it to a professional.
Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 8:16 pm

if it's typos and such then there are hardly any, i'm a good speller and spellcheck eliminates most of those. I don't know what good a friend seeing it would do because they're not a professional. I think I'm going to see how much a professional edit would cost and take it from there
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 10:06 pm

Because say 4 eyes are better than a pair. It is what I would do, if I was still offering my script to publishing houses. It is why most scripts won't be selected, because they are not truly ready. Luckily I found an editor and publishing house that was willing to work. Good luck with finding an editor though!
Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 10:26 pm

once I've found an editor I'll see the price, if I can afford it I'll go for it, if not I'll have to get someone I know to look it over - then I'll self-publish
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 11:10 pm

Should I self-publish... - Page 2 519941289 Sounds good to me. I wish you the very best.
Back to top Go down
Auntie Maine

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 6:39 am

Sounds good Nicky. i also believe that a professional editor could set you on the right road for publication. Jackie Onassis did with books she edited.
Back to top Go down
alondrianyx

alondrianyx

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 11:25 pm

Back to top Go down
Auntie Maine

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 4:35 am

Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 9:28 pm

I have emailed a couple of editors but i am scared i might end up with a cowboy, like Alondria's link suggested. And yet all the written evidence is it's a bad idea for me to edit myself, plus it would take ages Should I self-publish... - Page 2 3877000266
Back to top Go down
Auntie Maine

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 9:45 am

Nicky Mayfair wrote:
And yet all the written evidence is it's a bad idea for me to edit myself, plus it would take ages Should I self-publish... - Page 2 3877000266

So there is your answer. Now, are you being a good Truman Capote like fag and writing your newest novel as you fret? One of the things i love about him. That he worked all the time non stop. It was a job as much as an artistic endeavor. What is your next project?
Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 7:28 pm

I am writing at the moment, but more for my own amusement. This Sunday Stevie and I are spending the whole day looking into and making plans for the self-publishing thing. I have an awful feeling I'm stretching it out and procrastinating...
Back to top Go down
darkeyes80

darkeyes80

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 12:08 am

Stop stretching it out and don't procrastinate. That should take care of that awful feeling. Should I self-publish... - Page 2 3175334217
Back to top Go down
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 1:26 am

darkeyes80 wrote:
You have "God"-issues; you think you created the universe. hardly an endorsement. Should I self-publish... - Page 2 2271603068

But I thought every good writer knew how to "kill their darlings"; allowing an objective view to improve on what has been created.

look at Anne Rice. There is a difference between her work with an editor and without one. You be the judge.

some of her books arent edited? which ones?

clearly the woman who wrote 50 shades of grey did not have an editor. Her writing is horrendous. And did the publishing house who publish her book even actually read it first??????
Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 1:31 am

yah I read that some of Anne's book were never edited, that she hated the idea of someone editing them. Maybe I should adopt the same attitude. Also if the same is true of 50 Shades, well it hasn't done that book any harm, has it?!
Back to top Go down
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 1:33 am

it is the worst book I have ever read, it makes Blood Canticle look like a spectular book. Seriously I dont understand why this book is flying off the shelves except that apparently most women in america and britian have virtually no sex life and have to live vicariously through this book
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 4:16 am

Those books that Anne did not have edited, weren't as good. And honestly, the shade thing.. we all know it is crap. You rather publish something unfinished Nicky just so you can say, 'you have published something' or publish something that is worth publishing?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should I self-publish...   Should I self-publish... - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Should I self-publish...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Garden District :: 1239 First Street :: The double parlour-
Jump to: