The Garden District
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anne Rice discussion and more

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Getting a good night's sleep tips

Go down 
+5
LadyMandingo
Auntie Maine
alondrianyx
Taman
Nicky Mayfair
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

Getting a good night's sleep tips Empty
PostSubject: Getting a good night's sleep tips   Getting a good night's sleep tips I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 8:08 am

I'm going away for my birthday to Edinburgh on Sat, and each time I've been away on a trip since my health anxiety was bad I've had a terrible night's sleep the night before, a mixture of nerves - will I be ok when I'm away - and excitement. My trip to Buxton a fortnight ago, the night before was awful, I honestly barely slept. I get frustrated and angry, I try lying still like Stevie tells me but when nothing happens the anxiety builds. I sleep on my front and when I'm anxious you can hear your heart hammering.
Does anyone have any tips? I've tried tiring myself out out but that didn't work, or at least the second night of the Buxton trip I slept badly too when I should have been exhausted after the previous night. I keep hearing conflicting advice like, 'don't read it stimulates your brain' and then someone else says 'if you can't sleep get up and read'. I just hate it when I'm lying there thinking, oh god the hours are ticking away, the longer I don't sleep the more tired I'll be tomorrow
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: Getting a good night's sleep tips   Getting a good night's sleep tips I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 3:24 pm

Happens to me too. I have never done anything about it though... I know it happens but one can rest in the grave. 8) One night is different than few nights though, when you don't get enough sleep.. anger and irritation comes with it.

But advices.. well, my workmate stressed over his new house and could not sleep. He went to the doctor and asked for sleeping pills. Those kind that help you fall asleep, not the kind that help you sleep. The latter are worse and don't provide good sleep. He is very happy with them.

But if you want more natural treatment, which I would consider, then buy yourself pillls/tea that has valerian or melatonin in it. You get these from the pharmacies or health stores. Well in Finland anyways. Good night!

Back to top Go down
alondrianyx

alondrianyx

PostSubject: Re: Getting a good night's sleep tips   Getting a good night's sleep tips I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 1:17 am

try kalms nicky. all natural ingredients, they just help you relax and switch off
Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

PostSubject: Re: Getting a good night's sleep tips   Getting a good night's sleep tips I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 1:40 am

unfortunately since my illness I won't take anything pill-wise, natural remedy or not. I'm completely reliant on advice her folks, and any good old-fashioned wives' tales. It's more of a case of what do I do come 2am when I haven't slept and the frustration is building...
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: Getting a good night's sleep tips   Getting a good night's sleep tips I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 4:08 am

Illness?

Hmm.. so no pills. How about some chamomile or lavender tea before bed? Or warm glass of milk. Make sure room temp is nice and bed is comfortable. Also sometimes it helps to change your sleeping place. Sometimes when I have probs, I'll go and sleep on the sofa. Reading a slow moving book that takes your thoughts away from "I need to fall asleep". Sometimes you just need to get up and do something for a little awhile and then try again. Oh and if you have a bath, it might help to take a relaxing bath and then go to bed. No exciting movies, tv-series or anything to make that mind race. Physical excercise during the day. If you body is physically tired, you tend to fall asleep quicker.
Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

PostSubject: Re: Getting a good night's sleep tips   Getting a good night's sleep tips I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 4:14 am

my blood disorder, the one I was on steroids for. Since then no medicines, pills, nothing.
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: Getting a good night's sleep tips   Getting a good night's sleep tips I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 3:35 pm

Oh yes, I remembered you took that awful drug for something but could not remember what it was!
Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

PostSubject: Re: Getting a good night's sleep tips   Getting a good night's sleep tips I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 5:39 pm

yah so since then no pills, natural or otherwise - only my daily Vitamin C. Tomorrow night is the 'big' night, I'm trying not to make a big deal of it and I don't want to do anything too different because I'm scared that will just send the message to my brain that something is 'up'
Back to top Go down
Auntie Maine

PostSubject: Re: Getting a good night's sleep tips   Getting a good night's sleep tips I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 10:06 am

My friend Conrad recommended propofol.

Back to top Go down
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

PostSubject: Re: Getting a good night's sleep tips   Getting a good night's sleep tips I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 6:34 am

Omega oils are great to help your brain sleep. Start taking a good fish oil everyday, it may help

When I cant sleep I try meditating, but sometimes I just cant get myself to focus on meditating. Reading does make me fall asleep sometimes. Sometimes watching tv puts me to sleep, sometimes it doesn't. The thing that worked last time doesn't always work for me the next time. Maybe it depends each time specifically what is keeping you up
Back to top Go down
darkeyes80

darkeyes80

PostSubject: Re: Getting a good night's sleep tips   Getting a good night's sleep tips I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 6:54 am

Quote :
My friend Conrad recommended propofol.
shocked
Daniel! That is NOT funny! Getting a good night's sleep tips 2335345769
Back to top Go down
Judge Jane
Admin
Judge Jane

PostSubject: Re: Getting a good night's sleep tips   Getting a good night's sleep tips I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 7:57 am

I had to google it!
Back to top Go down
Auntie Maine

PostSubject: Re: Getting a good night's sleep tips   Getting a good night's sleep tips I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 9:55 am

Sorry, it was too good to pass up. Getting a good night's sleep tips 2271603068
Back to top Go down
darkeyes80

darkeyes80

PostSubject: Re: Getting a good night's sleep tips   Getting a good night's sleep tips I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 1:02 pm

Quote :
Sorry, it was too good to pass up.
I'm glad you did'nt!:)
Back to top Go down
darkeyes80

darkeyes80

PostSubject: Re: Getting a good night's sleep tips   Getting a good night's sleep tips I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 1:14 pm

I recommend excrecize. doesn't have to be rigorous at all. But, when you make it a routine to get your heart-rate up, do some sit-ups or push-ups 30 min. before you wanna go to bed; it works. But you HAVE to stick with it! it'll be a matter of days and before you know it; you'd rather jump straight into bed than doing even light excercizes. It's a psycological thing; once you have to make an effort to "relax"; you'll get tired just at the mere thought of it. So; do some quick exercizes, once your hear-rate is back to normal;go about your regular "go-to-sleep-routine". But do make sure you cut out all the stimulants(tv, coffee, tea,) and relax. Meditation could work. It doesn't work for me, though. Meditating is all about clearing my head and it leaves me quite refreshed and re-energized:P we're all different tho.
Back to top Go down
Denovissimus

Denovissimus

PostSubject: Re: Getting a good night's sleep tips   Getting a good night's sleep tips I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 2:21 pm

just swallowed two melatonin pills with some wine, I pray it works, I need the sleep
Back to top Go down
darkeyes80

darkeyes80

PostSubject: Re: Getting a good night's sleep tips   Getting a good night's sleep tips I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 2:51 pm

be carefull with alcohol. You might fall asleep, easily. But, as soon as the effects wear off(whils your sleeping); your brain gets the "I'm sober!" signal. Resulting in never really achieving "deep sleep" but, slipping in and out of REM. You'll wake up exhausted.

Don't know what the combination with melatonin will achieve, though. It is supposed to ease the "slide " from REM into deep sleep.
Back to top Go down
Judge Jane
Admin
Judge Jane

PostSubject: Re: Getting a good night's sleep tips   Getting a good night's sleep tips I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 7:47 am

I was going to say the same about alcohol, Rodney!

Back to top Go down
sassycatj

sassycatj

PostSubject: Re: Getting a good night's sleep tips   Getting a good night's sleep tips I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 10:02 am

A stiff drink and some good lovins, knock me out every time. Getting a good night's sleep tips 4225072840

after snuggle mode equals.... Getting a good night's sleep tips 1792775232
Back to top Go down
darkeyes80

darkeyes80

PostSubject: Re: Getting a good night's sleep tips   Getting a good night's sleep tips I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 10:31 am

Jane and I know what the deal is!
a stiff drink can knock me out, cold. And i might wake up without a hangover but, not as rested.
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: Getting a good night's sleep tips   Getting a good night's sleep tips I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 3:46 pm

That is true. The sleep is never as good when you are drunk. I have used it sometimes to block out the mind, when absolutely nothing helps. But that's when I have had some serious issues I haven't had the tools to deal with. I am usually quick to recover and tend to land on my feet but there has been couple of times when I have almost jumped out of the window and had to take few shots to calm down. To sleep it off.
Back to top Go down
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

PostSubject: Re: Getting a good night's sleep tips   Getting a good night's sleep tips I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 9:18 am

oh I will also masturbate to get myself to fall asleep if it seems like I am too wired to go to sleep quickly. Works every time!
Back to top Go down
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

PostSubject: Re: Getting a good night's sleep tips   Getting a good night's sleep tips I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 9:20 am

darkeyes80 wrote:
be carefull with alcohol. You might fall asleep, easily. But, as soon as the effects wear off(whils your sleeping); your brain gets the "I'm sober!" signal. Resulting in never really achieving "deep sleep" but, slipping in and out of REM. You'll wake up exhausted.

Don't know what the combination with melatonin will achieve, though. It is supposed to ease the "slide " from REM into deep sleep.

huh, learn something new everyday!
Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

PostSubject: Re: Getting a good night's sleep tips   Getting a good night's sleep tips I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 8:57 pm

I see on Facebook my lovah Jesse is having trouble sleeping; I'm not so good at the moment; my health anxiety is flaring up a bit because it's coming up to Christmas and I want it all to go well. I find you have to try as hard as possible to stay calm and still, I've been down the route of getting upset and frustrated and it doesn't work, and actually creates even more adrenaline
Back to top Go down
Denovissimus

Denovissimus

PostSubject: Re: Getting a good night's sleep tips   Getting a good night's sleep tips I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 1:21 am

Someone told me maybe phases of the moon affect sleep? It was a full moon recently, I'm curious, its been almost a month since I've had insomnia and it hit me the past two nights.

I can't calm my mind down Nicky, so I try to visualize things which help to drift me off to sleep.

Thank goodness its friday though, rather this happen toward the end of the work week then the beginning.

what's the anxiety over xmas for lovah?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting a good night's sleep tips   Getting a good night's sleep tips I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Getting a good night's sleep tips
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next