The Garden District
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anne Rice discussion and more

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What book are you reading at the moment?

Go down 
+7
darkeyes80
Sheila O
Taman
Auntie Maine
Denovissimus
LadyMandingo
Judge Jane
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Auntie Maine

What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What book are you reading at the moment?   What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 11:06 am

Ohhkay I want to hear about this. What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 178418778 builds a fireplace
Back to top Go down
Auntie Maine

PostSubject: Re: What book are you reading at the moment?   What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 1:18 am

My Chinese herbalist was talking about this book and I told him it sounded interesting so the next time he went to his temple he got me a copy.

Journeys to The Under-World (Chinese: 地獄遊記, pinyin: Dìyù Yóujì, lit. "Hell Story"), also called Voyages to Hell, is a Chinese novel describing what Yangsheng (楊生), a planchette handler, saw and heard when he followed his master Ji Gong (濟公, Jì Gōng) to Hell on the instructions of the Jade Emperor. The story is about the consequences resulting from actions during the life of a person. It contains journeys made by Ji Gong and Yangsheng to each level in hell to warn those in the living world with an evil heart. Each chapter contains detailed descriptions of their observations and interviews with souls being punished in hell.

According the authors, the production of these accounts were painstakingly achieved by the use of a planchette board (Chinese: Fuji) with Ji Gong as the guide and Yangsheng as the medium. The details and conversations of each journey were written in Chinese characters on the planchette board during each Fuji session held in Sheng Xian Tang, a very tedious and time-consuming process. The visits were generally made at night time.
Collection of material for the book started in 1976 at the Temple of the Sages in Tai Chu, Taiwan. The project was completed and published in Chinese in 1978.
There are also many other free journey books to the other worlds such as the desire realms and pure lands.
Back to top Go down
Auntie Maine

PostSubject: Re: What book are you reading at the moment?   What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 12:02 am

What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 1-schindlers-list-book
Back to top Go down
darkeyes80

darkeyes80

PostSubject: Re: What book are you reading at the moment?   What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 1:32 am

Rereading Pandora. I like her even more, now. she truly is the only female character who is completely "woman" AND strong. Nothing like the the weak women or women who act like the worst part in men(Gabrielle)
Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

PostSubject: Re: What book are you reading at the moment?   What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 12:18 am

I need to re-read Pandora; in fact I need soem re-read some Rice full-stop
Back to top Go down
Auntie Maine

PostSubject: Re: What book are you reading at the moment?   What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 12:31 am

Didn't have anything fresh to read and this is my newest "going to reread for the rest of my life book" and it is a good summer read so I started it again night before last. back with old friends in Charleston. What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 1534449723 Keep thinking of Nicky as I read it.
What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 6135237
Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

PostSubject: Re: What book are you reading at the moment?   What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 2:21 am

i read a brief summary but it sounds depressing, Dan! all the characters get AIDS! I remember I tried one of those Armstead Maupin books once, what was it called, Michael Tolliver Lives...I guess US gay life is very different from over here
Back to top Go down
Auntie Maine

PostSubject: Re: What book are you reading at the moment?   What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 3:33 am

It is not depressing. As a matter of fact I find it very uplifting and take that away from it every time I read it.Out of all the characters in the book one gets AIDS and for the record that one gay character that gets AIDS lives.
Back to top Go down
Auntie Maine

PostSubject: Re: What book are you reading at the moment?   What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 1:24 pm

What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 80663
Back to top Go down
Auntie Maine

PostSubject: Re: What book are you reading at the moment?   What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 1:25 pm

Am I the only one that reads?
Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

PostSubject: Re: What book are you reading at the moment?   What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 12:08 am

nnnooo I read tons but I read very little fiction. Currently I am reading a book on Mary, Queen of Scots, one one Elizabeth I, one on Anne Boleyn, and one on Henry VIII, all factual!
Back to top Go down
Judge Jane
Admin
Judge Jane

PostSubject: Re: What book are you reading at the moment?   What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 7:07 am

I forget to post what I'm reading, I am reading a book I've had a while and it's been at the bottom of a pile, to be honest it's the only physical book I have left to read before I continue on my kindle.

I'm reading number 9 dream by David Mitchell, I think I guessed what the twist is going to be but we'll see, I really loved Cloud Atlas by him and I need to re-read that before the film comes out.
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: What book are you reading at the moment?   What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 7:47 pm

I forget to post them too. I also have many I haven't yet finished.
Back to top Go down
Auntie Maine

PostSubject: Re: What book are you reading at the moment?   What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 9:51 am

Queen Anne Boleyn
Back to top Go down
Judge Jane
Admin
Judge Jane

PostSubject: Re: What book are you reading at the moment?   What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 7:14 am

I think we talked about the Curious Incident of The Dog in the Night-Time in here...or on the other forum.

It is currently running as a play in London, and on my birthday it is being broadcast live to certain cinemas so I'm going to see it! I am so excited!!
Back to top Go down
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

PostSubject: Re: What book are you reading at the moment?   What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 6:06 am

I just finished reading Taltos and just started reading 50 Shades of Grey. My coworker lent it to me, so we shall see if I like it or not.
Back to top Go down
Sheila O

Sheila O

PostSubject: Re: What book are you reading at the moment?   What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 6:00 pm

Ive just started a biography of Truman Capote. Its written by George Plimpton and essentially it is a collection of stories his friends,acquaintances and enemies tell about him.

I love it so much already. It reads like a work of art itself. And I love Truman Capote.
Back to top Go down
Auntie Maine

PostSubject: Re: What book are you reading at the moment?   What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 10:27 am

Yummy. Auntie loves Truman too. Have for years and when I win the lottery I plan on recreating one of his summers in Greece. he was truly one of a campy kind. Love Plimpton too. Sounds wonderful.
Back to top Go down
Auntie Maine

PostSubject: Re: What book are you reading at the moment?   What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 10:17 am

I feel like this Anne Boleyn book is never ending. Sleep
Back to top Go down
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

PostSubject: Re: What book are you reading at the moment?   What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 10:32 am

reading Dear John by Nicholas Sparks
Back to top Go down
alondrianyx

alondrianyx

PostSubject: Re: What book are you reading at the moment?   What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 11:07 pm

just bought myself a new book, the lost hero by rick riordan. its the follow up series to the percy jackson books
Back to top Go down
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

PostSubject: Re: What book are you reading at the moment?   What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 9:23 am

re reading Blackwood Farm
Back to top Go down
Auntie Maine

PostSubject: Re: What book are you reading at the moment?   What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 2:00 pm

What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 41KSj6Qyl8L36
Back to top Go down
Judge Jane
Admin
Judge Jane

PostSubject: Re: What book are you reading at the moment?   What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 8:41 am

Am reading a book called Get Productive! Hope it works!
Back to top Go down
Sheila O

Sheila O

PostSubject: Re: What book are you reading at the moment?   What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2012 3:48 pm

Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh, one of my favourite writers evah.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What book are you reading at the moment?   What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What book are you reading at the moment?
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next