The Garden District
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anne Rice discussion and more

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The health & fitness thread

Go down 
+6
Denovissimus
alondrianyx
Taman
Nicky Mayfair
LadyMandingo
Judge Jane
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
Judge Jane
Admin
Judge Jane

The health & fitness thread Empty
PostSubject: The health & fitness thread   The health & fitness thread I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 1:28 am

Post all your achievements, tips, articles here
Back to top Go down
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

PostSubject: Re: The health & fitness thread   The health & fitness thread I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 1:38 am

I re-continued my parasite cleanse today. It recommends taking a 5 day break in between. I could see why, because it was making my hemroids flare up and my anus itch like crazy, which makes me believe that I had pinworms (if your asshole itches alot, that is an indication of pinworms) and possibly doing the cleanse killing off pinworms (or maybe it was the killing off of yeast that was causing these symptoms, another possiblity) is causing these symptoms.

So not happy to be back on it but I do want to do the full cleanse and finish it. I need to get the heavy metal cleanse ordered, but I keep forgetting about it. That is next on my list after I finish the parasite cleanse.
Back to top Go down
Judge Jane
Admin
Judge Jane

PostSubject: Re: The health & fitness thread   The health & fitness thread I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 1:46 am

So today is day 1 of a 30 day colon cleanse. You are supposed to eat well through it and drink plenty of water. I have been eating much better over the past month and also been excercising.

These are the products I'm using for the cleanse.

http://www.evolution-slimming.com/store/acai-berry-products/acai-fat-burner/a/prod_109.html

The acai berry is a superfood that is supposed to be good for you and the detox plus is what I used last time I did this. You are supposed to get better results using both together.

So what changes have I made to my diet?

First I need to stress I am not on a diet as such, I am not depriving myself of anything. As I notoriously cannot eat fruit, veg or salad my diet remains....my own diet. Not perfect in any way. But I have cut out certain things and reduced others -

I know Michele will agree with this one - coke/pepsi are so bad for you. I have not quit though but I have really reduced to half a can a day. I no longer take a can to work with me. I no longer have cola in the morning (replaced it with tea instead). I no longer buy the 2 litre bottles becuase it lasted me so long last time it all went flat. Maybe one day I can quit entirely, or reduce to half a can every other day then reduce more..... I will see. I once tried to quit outright and the withdrawal headaches made me start up again. At work I'm having water and a low calerie, low sugar fruit drink. I'm also having more orange juice.

Cut down on processed meats, this was my downfall, I loved sausage, bacon, etc. Now only every so often. My diet has always been very meat heavy - I still have ham on my sandwiches but trying to eat more white meat, more healthier stuff

No more white bread!!!! I have switched to this new thin bread that warburtons do - it is like pitta bread but slightly thicker, cut in squares. It is gorgeous! This is what I have my ham on now, much less calories, salt etc than normal bread. If I can't have those am eating brown bread.

My breakfast is now cereal or porridge - it was white toast with butter before.

No biscuits or chocolate. This doesn't bother me much as I am not a sweet tooth person. I may lapse at easter as I know I have an egg already! Instead of biscuits if I am hungry after a meal I have rivettas and crackerbread, both which I love.

I'm also trying to excercise 5 times a week. Last week I managed 4, the week before only 3. This week I will aim for the full 5. I am doing Jillian Michael's dvds and I am really trying hard. Feel much stronger after 4 weeks. My core is stronger definitely.

Why am I doing this? I got weighed and I weighed more than I ever have!!! I also want to lose the fat on my belly. Again not overweight by any means but it is there and I don't like it cos it hasn't always been there. One of the perils of approaching middle age I guess.

In 4 weeks - just with the changes to my diet and the excercise I have lost 4 1/2 pounds. I still look the same to me though! I am hoping the cleanse will give me the smaller stomach I am wanting.

Back to top Go down
Judge Jane
Admin
Judge Jane

PostSubject: Re: The health & fitness thread   The health & fitness thread I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 1:53 am

More about my bowels - cos michele will want to know!

Michele inspired me and increased my knowledge about what is healthy in terms of bowel movements, how often you should be going. I've never been one for going often, as a child I would hold it in! I am anal retentive not anal expulsive!!! But since my knowledge increased I have tried to go once a day.

The problem I have is when I have a headache and take the strong painkillers it constipates me. If I'm lucky I'll be able to go to the toilet again after 2 days but it can be 3 or 4. I know I know this is not good! Combined with my processed meats in my diet I really do worry about my colonic health.

So lately I have reduced my tablets more consciously - having normal paracetamol first to see if that works, trying not to take the strong ones. When I am not constipated I am going once a day, which I know is less often than may be most healthy but is good for me.

My colon cleanse will mean me going more again and cleaning out, this happened last time.

So far nothing today....well actually I did go to the toilet first thing before I started my cleanse tablets. Last time it took until the evening for it start working.
Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

PostSubject: Re: The health & fitness thread   The health & fitness thread I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 1:59 am

I diet for summer as and when the weather dictates
Back to top Go down
Judge Jane
Admin
Judge Jane

PostSubject: Re: The health & fitness thread   The health & fitness thread I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 3:06 am

Diets are bad and don't work. Alter your eating habits permanently. Just make a few changes that you will hardly notice, don't restrict yourself and allow yourself things you really love (but are terrible for you) as an occasional treat only (like KFC!).

It really works pet! Plus if you add some aerobic excercise it will be even better. Anything that gets your heart rate up. If you're walking do it really fast. Use stairs not escalators. This is how you burn fat off your body! The more you do the easier it gets
Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

PostSubject: Re: The health & fitness thread   The health & fitness thread I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 3:28 am

then why have you still got such a big arse?!?

Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

PostSubject: Re: The health & fitness thread   The health & fitness thread I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 3:28 am

and huge, pendulous tits!
Back to top Go down
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

PostSubject: Re: The health & fitness thread   The health & fitness thread I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 4:11 am

Judge Jane wrote:
Diets are bad and don't work. Alter your eating habits permanently. Just make a few changes that you will hardly notice, don't restrict yourself and allow yourself things you really love (but are terrible for you) as an occasional treat only (like KFC!).

It really works pet! Plus if you add some aerobic excercise it will be even better. Anything that gets your heart rate up. If you're walking do it really fast. Use stairs not escalators. This is how you burn fat off your body! The more you do the easier it gets

ITA Jane, but I have a question for you: how come you cannot eat fruits and veggies?

you are doing great restricting the soda, if you cant cut it out all together that is ok! I still drink soda occasionally, I still have not been able to give up mountain dew completely myself! But I try to limit it as much as possible.

I still enjoy my chocolate!

Another way to focus on changing eating habits is to count how much fiber you are getting each day. Look at the labels of what you buy, see how much fiber is in it. You should be consuming 25-35 grams of fiber per day for great bowel health. Fiber also helps you loose weight. When you start looking at your fiber intake, you will start naturally making better choices. Like for instance, instead of buying a cereal you usually buy that has say 2 grams of fiber in it, start buying one that has 6 grams instead. Look at the bread you buy for sandwiches, how much fiber is per slice? Is there another kind of whole grain bread you can buy that has even more fiber? Check the labels!
Back to top Go down
Judge Jane
Admin
Judge Jane

PostSubject: Re: The health & fitness thread   The health & fitness thread I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 4:33 am

I have started looking at labels more but I don't want to get obsessive about it. Makes sense what you're saying though

I've always been a faddy eater and I never grew out of it. I don't like the texture of fruit at all. If something smells horrible to me I feel I won't like it so I don't try. When I have tried things before I didn't like them.

Back to top Go down
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

PostSubject: Re: The health & fitness thread   The health & fitness thread I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 5:45 am

honestly when I look at labels, I dont even look at the calories or fat content. Fat is better for you than what has been totted to us all these past two decades. I look at the fiber content, and the sugar content. I dont avoid sugar all together some sugar is fine and your body does need sugar to an extent but you shouldnt consume more than 70 grams of sugar per day (which is equivalent to 10 tea spoons) so I try to avoid things that are very high in sugar, though sometimes I still eat an occasional high sugar treat,

so I only look at labels for the fiber, the sugar, and obviously the ingredients and try to make sure that they are organic or as natural and as free of preservatives and chemicals as possible.

To me, these three things are more important for great health and weight loss than calorie and fat counting.
Back to top Go down
Judge Jane
Admin
Judge Jane

PostSubject: Re: The health & fitness thread   The health & fitness thread I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 10:12 pm

Day 2 of cleanse - and the effects are kicking in!!!
Back to top Go down
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

PostSubject: Re: The health & fitness thread   The health & fitness thread I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 9:43 am

Judge Jane wrote:
I have started looking at labels more but I don't want to get obsessive about it. Makes sense what you're saying though

I've always been a faddy eater and I never grew out of it. I don't like the texture of fruit at all. If something smells horrible to me I feel I won't like it so I don't try. When I have tried things before I didn't like them.

yea if you dont like the smell of something, chances are you wont like the taste of it, things typically taste the same way as they smell. Your smell and taste are very much connected. Over the years I have grown to like more veggies than what I used to,

as a kid I hated the smell and taste of brocoli. I still dont care for brocoli, but now I think the smell and taste of it is ok, dont love it but I can tolerate it enough now to where I can eat it. But it has to be cooked, I dont like it raw at all
Back to top Go down
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

PostSubject: Re: The health & fitness thread   The health & fitness thread I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 9:46 am

just bought this book today called "The Blood Sugar Solution" by Dr. Mark Hyman. It talks about how bad the diabetes epidemic is and how it causes SOOOOOOOOOO many other health problems and how almost everyone is pre diabetic (also called diabesity) and how diabetes and prediabetes can be reversed with change of lifestyles and how insulin medication actually makes your diabetes and your health WORSE in the longrun.

I read 4 chapters so far, a great read and so important I really think every person needs to read this book.
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: The health & fitness thread   The health & fitness thread I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 5:10 pm

Its officially accepted that certain diets helps diabates, even within the 'med-pro' doctors.
Back to top Go down
Judge Jane
Admin
Judge Jane

PostSubject: Re: The health & fitness thread   The health & fitness thread I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 7:04 am

I saw a tv documentary about excercise where it proved that very short 30 second bursts of intense excercise a few times a week significantly reduced the chance of getting type 2 diabetes.

Here is an article about it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7852987.stm
Back to top Go down
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

PostSubject: Re: The health & fitness thread   The health & fitness thread I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 10:21 am

Taman wrote:
Its officially accepted that certain diets helps diabates, even within the 'med-pro' doctors.

this book isnt talking about helping diabetes, it is talking about GETTING RID of it
Back to top Go down
Judge Jane
Admin
Judge Jane

PostSubject: Re: The health & fitness thread   The health & fitness thread I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 5:59 am

Type 1 diabetes is different to type 2 though, I thought bad diet can cause type 2 and good diet can alleviate that but my cousin has had type 1 since he was about 7 years old and will have it for life. I didn't think there was a cure for that
Back to top Go down
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

PostSubject: Re: The health & fitness thread   The health & fitness thread I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 11:06 am

Im talking about type 2, Jane
Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

PostSubject: Re: The health & fitness thread   The health & fitness thread I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 7:56 pm

my diet's on hold since it's got cold again
Back to top Go down
Taman

Taman

PostSubject: Re: The health & fitness thread   The health & fitness thread I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 8:46 pm

Quote :
this book isnt talking about helping diabetes, it is talking about GETTING RID of it

If you need to be on that diet for the rest of your life, then it isn't cure, it's preventive. But thats semantics, if it helps then why not. I started low-carb diet because it is said to help with Colitis. To this date I do not know what helped, the diet or the meds but I am still following the diet, more or less, just in case.
Back to top Go down
alondrianyx

alondrianyx

PostSubject: Re: The health & fitness thread   The health & fitness thread I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 1:31 am

i feel like i'm getting a shelf on my arse lol so when the monkey goes back to school i'm going to start going for long walks. i can't take theo cos he would slow me down, when i get walking i'm away

my diet is pretty much as good as its going to get so not much to change there

oh, and the optitian spotted something in my eye so i went for a cholesterol check last week, it takes a week and i haven't heard anything from the doctors yet so i guess i'm good on that front
Back to top Go down
Judge Jane
Admin
Judge Jane

PostSubject: Re: The health & fitness thread   The health & fitness thread I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 8:19 am

Cleanse going well, new eating and excercise going well.

My headaches are much less frequent now, I don't know if this is a result of cutting a lot of rubbish out of my diet and the excercise or the tablet I am prescribed.

I have a new health issue - inexplicable itchy arms! I've had this before and they never diagnosed what it was. It comes and goes. Been to doctors today becuase it is driving me mad! Hard to stop scratching even though it makes it worse. Again doctor is no use, he advised me to stop taking the anti depressant tab that I am taking for my headaches.....even though I've had this itchy thing before I started taking them too so how can it be a sideeffect of the tablet?!! Just out of curiosity I am trying this anyway. Also advised me to take a anti-histamine tab so I am. If they don't get better I am going back to doctors, I think it is an allergy that needs further investigation to diagnose.
Back to top Go down
LadyMandingo

LadyMandingo

PostSubject: Re: The health & fitness thread   The health & fitness thread I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 1:38 pm

Taman wrote:
Quote :

If you need to be on that diet for the rest of your life, then it isn't cure, it's preventive. But thats semantics, if it helps then why not. I started low-carb diet because it is said to help with Colitis. To this date I do not know what helped, the diet or the meds but I am still following the diet, more or less, just in case.

diabetes is caused by how you eat. So if you go back to eating crap, then yea your blood sugar and insulin gets out of control, your cells become numb to insulin and you need more of it to break down the sugar, so yea you can say that eating healthy is a cure and eating unhealthy will cause the disease to develop again.
Back to top Go down
Nicky Mayfair

Nicky Mayfair

PostSubject: Re: The health & fitness thread   The health & fitness thread I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 1:30 am

might as well forget the diet until I've eaten the Easter eggs!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The health & fitness thread   The health & fitness thread I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The health & fitness thread
Page 1 of 16Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Garden District :: 1239 First Street :: The double parlour-
Jump to: